This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Crickets Quietly?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Tegu, Aug 30, 2011.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

When I started my mealworm colony I bought a big batch of 500 online. If where you get them from has healthy crickets, go for it, I just find I get better deals in bulk online.

2. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

Sign language? Teach what to do sign language? Lol.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I was wondering about that one myself!

4. budhorse4

budhorse4 Well-Known Member

I think they meant teaching the crickets sign language so that they don't have to chirp. XD That is a great idea though, but I don't want to know what they would be signing me while they are being eaten. :p

5. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

Lol. Superworms(Mealworms) came to mind... Any advice, or comments about raising super worms? I hear it is really easy. Any downfalls?

The downfalls I am looking at right now towards crickets and roaches are
    CRICKETS: They are loud and they stink
    ROACHES: Well... They're roaches... My parents wouldn't like me raising them.
    SUPERWORMS(Mealworms): None so far. They seem pretty easy and it doesn't seem like there is any problem with them.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Superworms and mealworms are two different bugs.

7. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

I know... But from what I've been told, you pretty much raise them the same way.

8. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Yep Yep, LOL nobody has a working funny bone today LOL

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Mealworms are too easy!
    Superworms are a little harder to get them to pupate and turn into beetles so they can mate! But once you are able to, they do all the work!

10. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

Anyone know where I can buy cheap mealworms at?

11. mld

Buy them from an on-line feeder supply company! Where do you live? I know some Canadian ones, not sure about the ones in the U.S.A though

12. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

I live in the US. In Oklahoma. What's a good price for 1000?

13. mld

Here is one, not sure if any member has ordered from them, but i'm sure that someone will chime in on any other places there may be;
    Mealworms for sale free shipping

14. LizardCrazyCelt

LizardCrazyCelt Elite Member

There is a list of cricket sellers in the "feeders" section of the forums, and a lot of them sell mealworms and superworms as well. To breed superworms you have to seperate them to get them to pupate, but with mealworms you don't. I was also having problems getting my parents to agree to a dubia colony, but I built an outdoor roach keeper, and I am now waiting on the order I placed on Monday :)

15. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

I got about 35 super worms separated. Ready and waiting...

16. monkeytechahoo

monkeytechahoo Elite Member

Can't you just sneak in the roaches? Like not tell your parents what's in the rubbermaid tote? :D Listen to me, tellin a kid, that could be the same age as one of mine ta sneak around their parent's back, I'm a baaaaad parent. :p

I've found dubia roaches & mealworms the easiest and the best to breed. I have the rubbermaid totes in my living room and unless you ask, no one knows what's in them. *lol*

Hey Kat/Purplemuffin. Seein that yer only a few hrs away from me. If I find myself up in your area, for a herp show, I'll bring you some dubia, mine are taking over down here. *lol* I have more than my 2 lizards will eat up. I even just donated a mealworm colony to the squirrel monkeys at my work, roaches & mealies are so dang "happy" down here. :p

17. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

You could always go with the flat rock cricket story (also known as the dubia roach) :p

18. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

I just ordered 25 females and 10 males yesterday. Lol. I'm gonna keep them in my closet. :)

19. monkeytechahoo

monkeytechahoo Elite Member

Closet roaches...*LOL* Just make sure the tote stays outta the way of daily movement and stays warmish.

20. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

I have two closets. One of which I do not use. So they'll be in there. I need to find a cheap heat pad though.