This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Crickets Quietly?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Tegu, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

Is there any way to make crickets shut? Anyone have any suggestions on how to maybe muffle the sound? I will be breeding them soon and they will be in my house. I really don't feel like listening to them all day. Any advice will help. Thank you.

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

It's called breeding dubia roaches :D

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Fact of life. Adult crickets chirp. There is no way around it,...
    They smell too!

4. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

Roaches may be the way to go. Are they as easy to breed as crickets? Also, can they scale plastic?

5. Merlin

Depends on the species. Most of us breed Dubias and they cannot climb slick surfaces. I use a large rubbermaide tote and they don't even try to climb the sides.
    And set up and fed properly they are almost as easy to breed as mealworms. You just have to let your colony become established.

6. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

Where would I get their food and water? Also, how do I tell males from females? What are the necessary essentials to keep the roaches alive?

7. purplemuffin

Roach care sheet Just check out a few dubia roach care sheets. They are super awesome, and I plan to get a colony someday if I get any more insect eating herps.

8. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

The only problem I have with breeding them is that my parents probably wouldn't like it. But they don't have to know. ;) Do they use regular water? Or do they use special water like crickets?

9. purplemuffin

The water crystals will be the easiest as the roaches won't drown. They aren't too expensive though, and they seem to last quite a while! Honestly easier than regular water, lol..

Yes, you got a special breed of silent crickets.... *whistles innocently* Soooooo totally not roaches, right? ;)

10. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

I just asked my dad and he instantly said no. Lol. Looks like I'll have to hear them make noise. Maybe he'll get tired of it and tell me to start breeding roaches.

11. purplemuffin

If the noise doesn't get him, the SMELL will..it's nasty..I can't stand crickets!

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

instead of asking "hey dad, can i breed roaches" go about it this way...

I found this awesome feeder bug, they don't make noise and are easier to care for. They don't smell. They'll eat veggie scraps we don't eat. They are originally from south america and won't breed unless the temps are above 80 degrees in their enclosure so if one gets out you have nothing to worry about. They are called Blactica Dubia. They don't fly and they don't jump and they can't climb smooth plastic. You'll never have to buy me crickets ever again.

13. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

My dubia's take off with the water crystals! I never let them get dry, but find them all over the place in their enclosure, even tried putting 2 dishes of them in, just in case they were arguing over the one, but nope, they still steal them!! My colony is taking off nicely, hopefully will have enough soon to sell to my fave exotics store who cannot keep them in stock :D

14. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

First of all, I buy my own crickets. Lol. And my mom flipped when I joked with her about it. Plus I live in Oklahoma. The temps are 100+ almost every day. I think I'll have to stick with crickets. I may try and make a small superworm farm as well.

15. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

What are you feeding? Mealworms are super easy.

Mine do too! I find them stuck to the backs of the roaches. No idea why.

16. Merlin

Well at least this summer! I live in Ok too and this is not the norm! We have broken records all over the place.
    And I would guess that you DO have AC on in the house so it isn't that hot inside.

17. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

Yeah. I obviously have AC if I can afford a $150 tegu. Lol. I feed both my tegu and beardie crickets, the occasional meal worms, super worms, and I feed my beardie a salad every other day, and I feed my tegu a little ground turkey once a week.

18. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

you do mean you feed them both a salad since tegus are omnivores too right?

19. Tegu

Tegu Elite Member

My tegu won't eat his salads... :( To start breeding crickets, do I just need to buy adult crickets from any place I can find them? Or are there a special kind of cricket that I need to start..?

20. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

you could always teach them sign language!!:D:-"