This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Crickets Monitor Idea

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by bradyloach, Sep 23, 2012.

1. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

So i have an idea that i want to know if it will work; i want to breeed crickets cause i send to much on them. but i hate the 2 tubs of crickets haha so my idea is place a thing of soil in the cricket box and instead of placing the container of soil in another bin, what if i put it in the monitor cage? would they still grow? it will be a faster way of getting food to my lizard? whats your opinion should i just get 2 bins?

hopefully someone can jump on this

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What are you going to feed the crickets when they are in the enclosure, will the humidity be too high?

3. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

the humitdy is like 90% but i can put greens in the enclosure no problem

4. mld

Humidity is way too high for crickets!

5. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

so ill have to breed them with different tubs eh?

6. mld

Yeah, I think you should! :)

Why aren't you just buying them bulk from the cricket breeders? 1000 should only be like 30 bucks

7. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

90% is too high for a Savannah monitor all the time. I would really try to drop it to 60-70%

8. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

yeah 60-70 would be perfect. im trying to drop it! my sav goes through a box of 1000 in 2 weeks! plus my bearded dragon! im really thinking that the guy is riping me off im buying from. a box has "1000" i really think there is 400 in a box and he sells them for 40 bucks..... thats way to much! and hes an idiot. so i want to breed them it will be cheaper! im gonna start breeding them tomorrow :D any tips besides the care sheet?

9. mld

Patience, is all I can say! lol

Have you ever ordered from Capital Dragons for your crickets?

10. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

I dont know about ordering online? ive never done that. i could try that... i get them from a guy for 40 bucks a box

11. mld

I used to never order on-line, but once I got a PayPal account I felt safer doing so. If you ever have any problems getting your product or are not happy Paypal will help.
    Here is the link for Capital Dragons, they are in Toronto, just remember to read which day they ship out and which day is a deadline for ordering for the next shipping. This will ensure that they aren't boxed too early;
    Crickets

12. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

oh sweet i might do that then! :D

13. Rudiman

Rudiman Elite Member

I would breed (and I do) roaches. Discoid and Dubia. They don't smell, climb and have a better meat to shell ratio.

Scott

14. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I think Capitol dragons moved out to Ottawa.
    Port Credit Pets ships them.
    Brady I thought you had bought some roaches and were breeding them?

15. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

my mom made me respectably get rid of my roaches. i sold them to a guy and he is going to sell them back to me when i move out next year. My mom asked me nice and i said yes. I tried explaining them to her but she said that she didnt like them. Im gonnatry to breed crickets tho. cassie loves crickets at least...

16. kriminaal

Can't blame you mom for not wanting them. I told my wife they were beetles when I first got them as I knew she would freak out.
    She's kind of used to them now. Out of sight out of mind I guess.
    The thing with crickets is the escaped ones for me. Not sure how they always get out but they do.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Brady, I`ve got a tip (you did ask); you need to start using something a litle bigger than just crickets and earthworms to help sustain your female monitor! Can you buy the larger species of roaches for instance, and offer shrimps/prawns and freshwater fish if she`ll take them?

18. kriminaal

All of the roaches are illegal in Canada except the one already infesting, which is the German cockroach I believe. So they are very difficult to get.
    Top Notch feeders is Toronto is selling them though. They must be crazy to advertise it.

19. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Yah crickets for now.. but in around a year ill get roaches! she stiill gets rat pups of course ;)

20. mld

I thought that they were in Ottawa and are now in Toronto Area ( Peterborough)? My mind must be going :-"