This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Crickets Keep All Dying With Days

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by crepsley, Jan 26, 2016.

1. crepsley

crepsley New Member

hello, okay so i've just started to breed crickets because buying crickets are overly expensive where i live.
    first go - so i bought 3 tubs of medium crickets and 1 tub of large, i put them in a huge storage tub with toilet paper in water for drinking, crushed up dog food for eating, and a container with soil for eggs, and some egg cartons for living, all is well...3 days later all dead or on there way to death
    second go - cleans out everything with reptile cleaning stuff so im not poisoning them (well i think if its safe for reptiles its safe for crickets), i try to do everything different this time besides food, got my thing of dog food, tons of carrots with lots of water on them (sprayed everyday) and a thing with SAND this time (i thought the soil might have killed them last time), all is well 2 days later half already dead, and they are all going down that path
    They have been laying lots of eggs, but none have hatched yet
    Please anyone help me, i want to get this on its way so i can stop wasting money, this is very frustrating to me. the only thing i can think about is that i don't have any heat for them even though i live in a pretty hot area at the moment during summer.
    thank you

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You may want to try purchasing younger crickets for breeding stock. I would go for small sized crickets, as the medium/large (older crickets) may be dying off due to old age rather that something you're doing wrong. Or it could be the crickets are already in poor health when you bring them home. If you follow the guide and still experience mass die-offs, you should find a better supplier.
    We have a cricket breeding guide, here is the link:
    Keeping - Breeding Crickets | Reptile Forums - Information
    You will want to invest in a thermometer, so you know the conditions inside of their enclosure.

3. crepsley

crepsley New Member

Thank you for the fast reply, the ones i bought most recently had plenty of younger crickets leaning some towards pin head, god knows why they were classified as mediums, it may be that they are already in poor health, but there is only 1 retailer in my area unless i drive an hour away, ill see if ive missed anything in that guide and see what i can do thank you

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I wrote that guide and it was how I bred my crickets. It was fool proof and always produced for me.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You will need supplemental heat or they will take forever to grow.