This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Boas?

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by SnakeAndBat, Aug 6, 2013.

1. SnakeAndBat

SnakeAndBat Active Member

I plan on breeding my boa when he is big enough but I don't know what kind boa to get for him, he's Argentine x colombian red tail x pastel, and supposedly 100% het for albino. So what would be a really cool boa to breed with him? I never have bred snakes yet, this will be my first time so any suggestions, info, or help would be appreciated!

Chief5.jpg chief6.jpg chief7.jpg chief8.jpg chief9.jpg

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

What strain of albino? Kahl or Sharp? The two don't mix well so if you don't know what strain stay away from anything albino. If you cross the 2 strains that is considered a huge insult to the breeders who developed the 2 strains.

Learning genetics is important, some morphs are dominant (ie hypo), some traits are recessive(like albinos). Also look and see if there is a market out there for them. You don't want to get stuck with a bunch of neonates. Males don't have to be full grown to breed, most are viable at 18months old. You do want your female to be adult atleast 3 years old. 4 years is better imo they are more mature and able to survive the birthing.

Research, research, research is your best tool now. Know that normal looking neonates only sell for $50 in most area's, it's not a get rich quick thing. Most breeders don't make money, everything I make from hatchlings goes back into housing, feeders, bedding, electricity and of course new blood!

3. SnakeAndBat

I have no idea what kind of albino he is, all I know is I got him at a local pet store and this is what they said he is, I don't think he's het for albino honestly.

I know breeding snakes don't bring in much money, I want to do this purely out of hobby and hopefully make enough to keep doing it. I will do all the research I can before even pairing them up I don't want to make any mistakes if possible. I have to ask though what's a neonate?

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Neonates are what they call baby snakes born from live bearers. Boas do not lay eggs, they deliver litters of young called neonates :) Baby snakes born from eggs are hatchlings :)

5. SnakeAndBat

Ahh gotcha :) I'm thinking if not breed my boa, breed my pastel ball python with a pinstripe but the incubation seems like it would be more challenging to get it right.

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Sounds like you have a lot of reading to do.

7. SnakeAndBat

Yeah well, gotta start somewhere right?