This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Boas Housed Near Each Other?

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by MoskiWoski, Mar 21, 2013.

1. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

I am going to be building an enclosure soon, but I want to plan ahead. I'm thinking of building the enclosure large enough that it can be split down the middle with a divider. Keep the male on one side, and the female on the other. This way, when its time to breed, just remove the divider. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this. My question is, can you house opposite sex (Amazon Tree Boas) next to each other permanently, and still have success when breeding? Or do they need to be kept apart, like in different rooms, then introduced to each other? I'm sure I'm going to throw a bunch of money into this enclosure, and I'm certain it will be more cost effective to build one really big one with a divider, than to build two separate ones. I just don't want them to be too familiar with each other, due to being housed so close, when it comes time to breed.

Thank you to anyone who has an opinion.

2. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Somebody, anybody??

3. Tired

Tired Elite Member

Although breeding is breeding and cases of snakes becoming too familiar to breed is uncommon, a good suggestion is doing the divider, but putting alot of foliage around the sides of the divider, to the point where they can't see eachother, but they will still smell eachother, creating interest. When it's time to breed, move the foliage and they should start.
    Thats just my experience with a pair of snakes in an enclosure.

4. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Sounds logical. Thanks. I appreciate it.

5. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

JoeyG is the aboreal snake expert here. Hopefully he can help you out. Boas can get on edge and aggressive when co-habbed. I have been researching co-habbing a breeding pair of carpet pythons and have come across a few experienced boa breeders that have all experienced docile boas turning permanently aggressive once co-habbed. Now, you are not technically cohabbing them, but I would assume they would hear each other and constantly sense each others presence. On the other hand however, my snakes are in separate enclosures, and I am convinced that they can sense each other and are aware of each other. I know its not much help, i just wanted to weigh in on what i could for you, hopefully bumping your thread.

6. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Yeah, I understand. That's kind of what I was unsure about. I mean they'd literally be right next to each other, and would obviously know each other was there. I don't want it to be stressful at all for them, whether it be for breeding purposes or just in general. I would make the divider so they couldn't see through it, but all other senses would surely be aware of the others presence. Thanks for the input. I'm obviously new to this aspect of reptiles, so anything and everything helps.

7. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

What kind of boa specifically?

8. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Amazon Tree Boas. (Sorry for the delayed response, I fell asleep.)

9. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

Breeders have rack systems right next to each other with males on one side and females on the other. So as long as you have a divider where they can't see each other then you should be grand. I feel that animals, especially snakes who rely on scents most, will know there is a potential mate close by even in separate rooms.

10. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

That makes sense. I have seen breeder racks, and they are pretty close to each other. I figure this way, even when I remove the divider, they'll still have the comfort of their own enclosure, it will have just gotten larger. I'll turn on a little Barry White, and let the magic happen. Thanks!

11. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Breeders do just fine with tons in close proximity. It shouldn't be much more expensive to just add an extra wall on one of the two cages so they are entirely separate. If you are dead set on a single enclosure with a divider the way you described it should still be just fine though. Just don't use glass for the divider so they could see right through although even then it probably would be OK.

12. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Yeah. Thanks for the advise. The divider would be solid. I just figure building one large enclosure would be easier, cheaper and if done correctly it should also look really nice. I've done woodworking and remodeling most of my life, so I should be able to make a really nice enclosure, one that when people walk in they say, "What the.... That's awesome!!" And I figure if things go smooth, I should be able to set up at a couple reptile shows and offer customs. Building, designing, and woodworking has always been a hobby of mine, and now I might be able to make a few dollars on the side. Plus, I work in HVAC, so I should be able to do some slick controls, wiring, and all of that sort. Again, thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

13. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Thanks a lot, to everyone who responded. Any other opinions and/or info will be appreciated.

14. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

That's great you have experience in building stuff. When I try, emphasis on try, to build stuff it looks amazing in my head and on paper....in reality not so much :/

15. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Haha! Oh, I've had my "What the $&@? went wrong here..." moments. You just have to keep after it. And never underestimate an old dusty woodworking book at a garage sale, or those lame shows on PBS. If you look at enough pictures and sit through enough boring shows, pretty soon, something clicks. Oh yeah, it really helps if you get a credit card for your local big box hardware store. Because you're going to be making a lot of saw dust. For a while, that's all I was good at making. Ha!!

16. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm a little late but I'll add my two cents. I've seen it done in a couple of times and it doesn't seem to affect breeding. Males will go off feed sooner and stay off a bit longer. I would only say to use something where you can be sure they wont get through. I also believe they sence each other when in the same room even in seperate enclosures. Just provide them each with their on heat source (heat panels). found this picture for you of how some are kept in split enclosure, sounds like yours will be bigger

8581711989_becd6eb45a.jpg
    DSCN0149

Attached Files:

17. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

JoeyG! Just the guy I was waiting on. I hear you're the arboreal guru. Yeah, mine would have this same theory, a split enclosure. The divider would not be see through, nor would they be able to wiggle around it. I was thinking a 4'Wx2'Dx4'H overall size, with a split in the middle. Giving each ATB a 2'x2'x4' enclosure. Do you think this will be sufficient? Or should I go larger?

18. JoeyG

I don't know about guru... I just know the right people to consult :) Dudes like the owner of those cages are the experts. Anyway I don't know if that much height is needed IMO. I would do maybe 3' and do a 2.5'wide. From what I hear they also prefer different set ups then chondros or Emeralds with perches. They use more "y" shape branches.... I've never had one so just what I'm hearing. Also though some may get larger that average size they should do well in your enclosure size. Sounds like you're putting a lot of planning into this so I can imagine an awesome set up!

19. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Thanks, Joey. 5ft wide sounds like a plan, and makes sense. And yes, through my reading, I've heard that Y shaped branches are best. I've been doing a ridiculous amount of reading the last few months, so hopefully everything goes well once I get my little boa. I just ordered a 6 month old female (ATB), now I'm just anxiously waiting for this Ohio weather to break so I can have her shipped. Right now, I'm going to use a 18" cubed, Exo Terra Terrarium. I was told that would be plenty for a little while. Enough time to get this monster built, anyway.

20. JoeyG

Sounds good, I've been waiting on shipping of a chondro since late last year so I know how it feels. Good luck with it and look forward to updates!