This Disappears When Logged In

Breeding Altitude?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by TamJam, Sep 13, 2017.

1. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I have a female ball python and she has presented me thus far with two sets of beautiful, healthy babies while I was living in Kingston on the plains where it is hot and humid and flat (near sea level).

When I moved to the hills, it was December 2015 and she was pregnant. She did not lay her eggs as usual in June 2016 and I thought she was not pregnant after all, but then later in that same year she passed some "stone" eggs. I was dismayed and worried, but she seemed fine and eating normally, etc. She was with the male again in December and January 2016, then I separated them and waited, but nothing has happened and she has not laid. I am just hoping there are no more "stone" eggs in her again. We will see what happens between now and November.

I feel that all this is because I moved up to the cooler, drier hills and to an altitude of 2,800 ft. above sea level. Can the altitude alone be responsible? I make sure to keep them warm and humid as I did in Kingston, but I can't change the altitude!

Any advice?

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I haven't heard of altitude affecting this, but I guess anything is possible. Could it be because of a different light cycle? That will determine breeding behavior. If you think that is it... closing windows and providing full spectrum lighting on a timer (plus the drop in temperature) should help.

TamJam likes this.
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Doubt altitude has much if anything to do with it. Have you maintained the same conditions inside the enclosure? If you have, the climate you moved to shouldn't be too much of an issue either. She may just be having an off season or 2, it happens.

TamJam and murrindindi like this.
  4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Tammy, I agree that if the conditions in the enclosure are the same there`s no reason it would effect breeding, in that respect is the enclosure fully "self contained" (as in covered, especially the top)?

TamJam and Darkbird like this.
  5. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Yes, the enclosure is exactly the same, and covered.
    I guess I will just put her with the male at the appropriate time again.
    And wait.
    Thanks!

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Keep pairing her, the move may have upset her schedule also. I've had to rotate my breeding schedule for the most part, I won't even start pairing until January now, where it used to be November or so. Heck, most of my babies for the year just hatched in the last month.