This Disappears When Logged In

Breeders,Petstors,or online

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Airion, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airion

Airion Elite Member

Hey,
    Thanks guys for helping me on everything recently.Anyways me and my mom are now wondering should we buy the snake from a breeder, petstore or online.We'd perfer not to order online and we like the idea of knowing the gender before we buy. Thanks again Lindy

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I always say go with a breeder or try to adopt when possible.

Depending on where you live, buying online may be the only way to buy from a breeder.

3. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

I would definitely say a breeder. You can find out when/where the next reptile expo will be near you by checking this website: http://www.kingsnake.com/events.html

Adoption is another good option, as Rich mentioned. You can call your local animal shelter, look online for reptile rescue groups in your area (a good place to start is www.petfinders.org), or try Craigslist.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you are lucky enough to have a good herp shop around thats fine, but you will also pay more. Unfortuantely there are a lot of realy bad shops that sell unhealthy animals that make poor pets and with reptiles it may be difficult to tell the difference for a novice.
    Most of my animals were aquired from breeders at herp shows. There you get to talk to the breeder as well as physically handle the animal see how it feels and how it behaves.
    What area do you live in? Maybe someone can point you in the direction of an upcoming show.

5. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

I'll agree with the rest, all of our herp kids were either bought at a herp show, from a breeder or adopted. Shipping can be scary the first time but usually well worth the stress.

6. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Breeder, definitely. I can tell you that the reptiles I've bought from pet stores most often have turned out to be sickly and require a LOT more vet care. They cost less, but because they are handled less delicately, they often die sooner.

The best way would be to find someone who knows a reputable breeder in your area. You can go online and find someone, but I'd look for a breeder that is within driving distance. (This, of course, means however far you are personally willing to drive to pick up the animal. I actually drove out of state to pick up a veiled chameleon once.) That way you can meet the people who have been raising the animal and hopefully see the conditions it has been kept in. It really helps to know.

7. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

a well known breeder is always the best bet if you are quite new to the game. Once you have more knowkedge and experience you can judge the quality of a herp yourself(and sex it :p). then it is ok to buy a herp from another person... if you can see the animal before hand.

Adoption is also a nice idea but make sure you will be capable of bringing the animal up to good health. It will also likely be stressed and not handle that easily...this is case to case though.

8. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

oh....forgot to ask. Are you looking for anything in particular... for example more common and easy to keep herps can be purchased from good general keepers who happened to breed their pets.

9. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

What kind of snake are you looking for?

10. Merlin

Actually as a general rule, unless you are purchasing some exotic morph or het, a breeder will be less expensive than a pet store. After all the petstores buy from a breeder, and then put their markup on as well! I have seen animals from breeders at expos for 15-20 dollars and seen the exact same species at pet shops marked up to 100 dollars!

11. Airion

Airion Elite Member

Were planning on buying a Ball python. Do any of you guys know a Breeder around the Lake Stevens and Snohomish area?Thanks again Lindy

12. Merlin

I beleive that is Washington State? That's Lacy's(Mospitrockchick) stomping grounds. Maybe she can help out.
    I found one listing for a reptile show the end of March in Seattle and a few in Oregon.
    You might try and find out if your community has a herptilogical society. They might be able to steer you in the right direction. Ask your zoo about them.

13. Knox

Knox Elite Member

All but one of my snakes (ball python) were bought from breeders listed on Kingsnake.com. Yeah, the shipping is harsh at $35 to $50, but the snakes were only $20 - $35. So, that is still cheaper than a local pet shop.

The Ball came from a reptile store called Fins n Skins here in K-town, and the guys know their stuff. The little snake was on sale for $39, so I couldn't pass it up. A lot of their snakes are bred in house...

And shipping is really no big deal for the snake if they are packaged well - which all of mine have been.

14. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Check out mike willbanks sitehe has BPs for sale, you may want to call him. He might have others listed than whats on the site. www.constrictors.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.