This Disappears When Logged In

Breeders everywhere!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bitis Gabonica, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Bummer about the beardie eggs, but SOOOOOOO exciting about the Hoggs!!! Great picture! Fingers crossed.

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Well, bad news all around today... the western hognose laid eggs - in her substrate (our mistake - we mistook her pre-lay shed for a post-ovulation shed) so they are all dried up :( She still has one or more to lay so she is in her lay box now and we are hoping for the best.. wish us luck. We can only learn from experience I guess. This is our first year breeding the snakes so we were bound to get something wrong! :eek:

Also, we have just discovered our youngest corn - and the one we didn't want to nor attempted to breed, is pregnant,. we were separating her and our young male today as they are coming of age, and obviously they came of age sooner than we expected. Again, all we can do is hope for the best, otherwise it will be a vet visit. :(

On a better note the older female corns are definately ovulating so they are about to go in their own enclosures to hopefully lay eggs in a few weeks.

We are so disappointed and kicking ourselves for missing signs from the hognose, but what's done is done.... will anything go right for us this year?? :eek:

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Don't be down Rachel....it's a learning experience. Before you know it you will have more eggs and incubators than you can handle. Sometimes our scaly friends forget to read the same manual that we do !!!

4. Bitis Gabonica

Thank you Ken - that's a really sweet thing to say, you know how to cheer a girl up when she's down :) You're a star. We will still be kicking ourselves for this in weeks to come though I fear, but thank you for keeping our spirits up. And you're right! - best get things ready for those eggs that we do receive! :D

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

That's the spirit....when you least expect things,,,,,well you know...

6. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

OMG, I dont believe I missed this thread, i'm sorry Rachel about the beardie and hognose eggs, I know how much you where looking forward to them, you will soon have plenty of babies to deal with, and like Ken says, its a ll a learning experience, I have got to go through it myself yet, :eek: I am really looking forward to breeding the beardies eventually, hope all goes well with your corns, which younger corn is it? wish you luck with everything else :)

7. BlackJack

All you can do is try to provide the best care and conditions for all the future eggs and hatchlings. Hopefully some of the Hogg's eggs will be viable and the young corn will do OK.
    It's so hard to face a mistake, but you can only learn and profit from the experience: and by sharing it here, you've helped us all learn something!! Breeding is no light undertaking.
    We know you're doing your best Rachel. Try not to be too hard on yourself!!!!!!¨¨

8. Bitis Gabonica

Haha thanks guys - I think a couple of things to learn here are;
    1)Have your snakes sexed as young as possible and don't keep males or females together! (Donna, it's Arrow - the amel motley who was in with the male creamsicle downstairs).
    2)Write everything down!! - we didn't note when we first put the hognoses together, and in hindsight it is the perfect time for her to lay eggs,. also watch like a hawk - watch how many sheds they have, and how they behave. Thinking about it, our hognose was digging in her substrate last night, and although this is usual for hognoses, she was doing it quite frantically. We should have realised then..
    Hmm, learning experience.. at least we will know for next time, and yes hopefully Andrea we may still have one or two hognose eggs that are viable.

Watch this space.. :)

9. BlackJack

Thanks for the reminders Rachel... keeping records and staying aware of what's on those notes, is important even when you're not breeding and it's a good reminder to all of us!!!!!!!

PS --I got VERY confused there for a while between "western hognose" and "Hogg Island Boas" --- all day I was puzzling because I know boas are live-bearers....(my mix-up... that's why I spelled "Hogg" with 2 "g"s in my other post!) :eek:

Keep us posted Rachel. My thoughts are with you and your herps at this difficult time. Wishing you and Joe lots of strength and determination! :)

10. boyblue

boyblue Elite Member

best of luck i hope everything work out and the next thing you post is "HELP im being overrun by babies", lol :p ;) :) :eek: :rolleyes: :D

11. fuse

fuse Elite Member

Yeah Rachel!!!, all the best for your breeding projects!!! really envious of u guys.

cheers

12. Bitis Gabonica

Hey guys, another quick update for you...

The hognose laid another two eggs (one was burst and perhaps the problem in the first place).. she still has one to go, and we are hoping that she lays it by herself. If not, and even if so, she has a vet appt for friday, where if she hasn't laid the egg it will be removed, and she will also need an antibiotic to ensure that she doesn't have an infection from the ruptured egg.

We have learned so much from this experience.. turns out she may not have been egg-bound at all, and snakes can take many days to complete their lay, which we were unaware of before. We were just so concerned about the health problems that can be caused by dystocia we immediately assumed egg binding was occurring in this instance. Anyway, looks like she'll be fine, and a well-know hoggie breeder we know has never had a hognose die from dystocia, or even suffer from dystocia, although he has had specimens retain eggs and lay them at a later date.

Many more things to post, as we would like to share with you what we have learned,. many fascinating facts and info has come our way in the past couple of days, and we are much more confident about our future breeding projects. So, good news for the hoggie, and hopefully we didn't do anything wrong in the first place. Now for the corn.. she appears to be in the blue so should shed within a few days and lay eggs anywhere up to a week after. Hopefully she will pass without problem - she has set herself up in her lay box ready for the big day and we are leaving her undisturbed, apart from checking on her every couple of days to make sure she's ok. With any luck the eggs will be passed and she will feed well after so we can add extra calcium to her food and get her back to full post-lay health! :)

Will post later, and let you know how the vet visit goes with Baloo :)

13. Bitis Gabonica

And yet more eggs!.. she laid another two this morning, and still has more to go! That's a total of about 15 eggs over 5days!, which is apparently quite normal for hoggies!

We would prefer her to pass the remaining eggs by herself before the vet tomorrow, as I don't think it would be wise for the vet to intervene while she is still laying naturally. She will however still go so that she can receive the antibiotic.

Phew! I hope it's not like this with all the snakes! :D

14. BlackJack

That's great, Rachel... I hope these two eggs and the rest can be saved; I'm so glad that she's still laying naturally. Hopefully it will continue to go well.
    Keep us posted on the vet visit and other news from your "baby factory!" :D

15. Bitis Gabonica

Hi all :)

Thought I'd give you a quick update on Baloo, our hognose..

Joe took her to the vet this morning, and the vet administered a calcium injection and an antibiotic. We have to inject her three further times with the antibiotic, and if she hasn't laid the remaining eggs by Sunday the plan is to administer another calcium injection and then an hour later a drug called oxytocin, which induces labour. We can use this on our other snakes if egg-binding occurs. Baloo is now home and happy, hopefully she will lay the other eggs by Sunday, but if not then there is a solution,. this has been fascinating learning for us, and we are so relieved that our initial suspicions were incorrect.

Cheers for your support, best dash, at work! :D

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Rachel its great to hear that it's all under control! Hopefully everything will work out ok!
    If Joe reads THAT,... he may have a heart attack! :p

17. BlackJack

Oooops! :eek: No hidden meanings intended! ;) :)

Rachel, glad to hear everything is going well with your hognose!! What a stressful learning experience! But it sounds like you've made a quantum leap in your breeding-know-how!!!

Good luck with the others... and fingers crossed for the rest of those eggs!

18. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and wishing the best of luck for the rest of the eggs!

How big are the two corns that mated that you weren't expecting to do so? At what age do corns start doing this? Can they mate before they're full-grown, and, if so, are they at higher risk of problems if they're not full-grown? I'm wondering because my Jack and Sally are together, and I don't know if that could be a problem one of these days...they're nowhere near full-grown...

19. Joe

Joe Elite Member

*pulse begining to race, hot sweats starting, shortness of breath....chest feels tight....* :D :D :D

Cheers for the kind words guys :)

As Rach said I took Baloo to the vets today and on top of what Rach said I was also given an electrolyte soloution (Zoolyte) for her water as the antibiotic (Amakin) can cause kidney failure unless the snake is properly hydrated.

Hopefully we will not have to use the Hormone (Oxytocin) and this will be a last resort. Hopefully the calcium given today will do the trick.

Like Rach said got to give three more antibiotic injection to ensure that Baloo does not get Perentinitis (sp).

We will let you know. Thanks again guys. :)

20. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Awww, Rachel, im so glad Baloo is ok, good luck with everything else, keeping my fingers crossed for you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.