This Disappears When Logged In

BRB Shedding and Really Aggressive

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by gerardia1, Oct 12, 2012.

1. gerardia1

gerardia1 Member

Hey so my brb just went into his first shed since ive owned him. Since than he's been very aggressive. Hes always been a little nippy but somewhat manageable. Now i cant even walk near his tank with him coming out and just staring me down. Is this normal? Maybe just stress. Ive been spraying him once a day with Tropical Mist and the shed looks like its going to be fine. Hes just being a complete *******

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

HOw much and how often are you feeding. They can act like this when they are hungry.

3. gerardia1

gerardia1 Member

he just ate on saturday. 2 fuzzies . It was actually his first time off of pinkies. Maybe he wants more. i planned on another 2 this weekends but maybe ill move it up to today.

p.s.the pics are from an earlier date. Right now he's kinda of milky, deff getting ready to shed.

4. gerardia1

gerardia1 Member

Also, the day he had the two fuzzies is when he went into shedding. Another member told me he may be really hungry and needed the nutrition to start the shed process. Any truth to this? Is he saying my snake is malnourished? Humidity is steady at 83% and temps 73/80 on the high and low. I've only had him a month so im unaware of his previous housing conditions or feeding habits

5. Merlin

Nutrition has nothing to do with starting the shed process. The shed is in response to them growing.

6. gerardia1

gerardia1 Member

thanks for the help man. Appreciate it

7. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

Baby BRB's can take small hoppers from birth. I would go with one prey item/feed but make it larger.

8. gerardia1

gerardia1 Member

Thanks guys. Ill take the advice. Tonight im gonna step up the size. Judging by the pictures do you think a large hopper would be to big? Is there any negative side effects if the prey is too large and he tries to eat it?

9. Merlin

If the prey is too big, one of two things will happen. The snake will either not swallow it, or if it does, it will regurgitate.
    Your rule of thumb is the prey should be about as big around, or a touch larger, as the snake at its widest part of the body.

10. Rainbowsrus

I would say a hopper would be fine, just remember the prey diameter (minus fur) should not be greater than the largest diameter of snake. Yes they can and do eat larger but by following than basic rule you will not overfeed him.

11. gerardia1

gerardia1 Member

Gotcha. A little off topic but i've been thinking about switching to live food. I know the pros and cons but the only question is should i have started him on live right away before frozen or it doesnt matter? Should i wait til he gets bigger? i dont want my snake getting scratched up unnecessarily. Do you guys have any rainbows? I'd love to see some pictures

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Why the switch to live?

13. Rainbowsrus

I would NOT switch to live. You could switch to fresh killed / stunned if you prefer over F/T. Never leave live/active prey with teeth in the cage with your snake. They can and will bite back. Typical is nothing, sometimes the prey will take a chunk out of the snake and rarely can even KILL the snake.

I have a few BRB's ;-) Rainbows-r-us-reptiles.com

And just because I can, behold the future of BRB's......
    Zena_20120914aw.jpg

Attached Files:

14. gerardia1

gerardia1 Member

Wow that is a beautiful snake. I've just been thinking about it and it's something im leaning towards doing. Can i do it occasionally? Really im thinking future with chicks. I want to give him variety but is it safe for it to go back and forth. It would be too much of a hassle doing live all the time

15. Rainbowsrus

Problem with live (Fresh killed/stunned) is it can be like candy to them and can make it hard to get them to take F/T again.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

They have f/t chicks and pretty much every kind of feeder so there is no reason to do live.

17. Merlin

Stick with dead food. There really is no reason to switch to live..

18. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

Plus freezing the feeders does eliminate a lot of the pathogens like zoonotic disease.

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

And is it true that feeding live can make animals more aggressive?

20. gerardia1

gerardia1 Member

Well heres an update. Had the snake out for awhile today and was very friendly. i dont think he shed but the blue is gone. I dont know what happened but he came out during the day and was moving a lot. Not common for her. As we speak now she is also roaming her tank, drinking water, acting very curious. Deff has a unique personality