This Disappears When Logged In

BRB Questions

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Ripkabird98, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

Questions

I have seen tons of snakes that love to lay on peoples laps and be pet on the head like a dog. (Please, no reptiles can't feel emotions talk. I feel they can. If you think this, pretend IF reptiles did). A lot of them Pythons and generally just largers snakes. Mostly Burms, red taileds, and Retics.

I have fallen into the chance to get a Brazilian Rainbow Boa cheap with cage. It is healthy and 7 feet long. About 4 and half years old. Do you think it has a good chance of being that way? Like a couch buddy snake? That likes being pet? If not now, would it be easy to turn a Brazilian Rainbow Boa into that?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Brazilian rainbow boas require 75% humidity and are NOT couch snakes. They are notoriously difficult to keep because they require very specific husbandry and have a small temp gradient that can be difficult to achieve...they are easily stressed. So no, you cannot turn this unto a "couch snake", sorry.

3. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Well-Known Member

My BRB is pretty relaxed and I've found that the humidity thing isn't as difficult as people often make it out to be.

I keep mine in a 3' x 2' AP plastics cage (the carpet cage model, with the shelf). I have two water dishes, a large on on the heated end and a smaller one on the cool end. I use cypress bark bedding. I mist a few times a week and always have a humid hide available. He hangs out in there most of the day, with his little head poking out (and I can usually reach over and pet his head without him caring-- unless he's asleep because then it startles him, obviously, and he promptly retreats for a few moments). At night he comes out and cruises around. He's always had fantastic sheds and eats regularly, so I have no reason to believe things aren't working out well for him.

When I take him out, he's always good about being handled. He's never struck at me once, even when I'm pretty sure he'd rather not come out. Some times he comes right up to the glass when I come over and I'll slide it open and he'll climb right up my arm. But in general he's always on the move. He'll chill for a few seconds at a time and then start cruising again. If I put him in a coat pocket, he'll relax for longer.

I don't think he'd make a good "couch snake" because they move more in general than the big snakes. Burms and whatnot are very lazy snakes and that's generally why they tolerate sitting around like that better. BRBs move more. I think the bigger a snake is, the more likely it is to be that sort of snake. Not always, of course (Ball Pythons, Corn Snakes being common exceptions), but in general. And you never know, this [particular snake could be. But you wouldn't want to keep him out too long because of the humidity thing. I only take my guy out for short periods of time. A half hour maximum.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

a BRB being a real friendly snake is kind of a gamble. Many are, mine is usually very sociable. Like all animals, they can and do bite.

7+ feet seems like a monster, are you sure it is a BRB? at that size I can almost guarantee it is female.

As stated, they do have very particular humidity needs, which in the right cage are not hard to accommodate. In the wrong cage, it can be a nightmare - in short, ventilation is your enemy. Glass tanks with screen lids are not going to do it. I'd get a good idea of what kind of cage it comes with before making the commitment. If it comes with a junk cage, you'll need to spend more than you spent getting the snake to make or fix something better for it. It may not be such a deal if the cage is of no use to you.

Of note, they have large teeth. I periodically find shed teeth from my snakes (usually in water dishes) my 5 foot BRB has teeth the same size as my 9 foot redtail.... HUGE size difference between those two snakes - considering the Redtail eats guinea pigs that weigh about the same as my BRB herself.

Also of note, BRB tend to be very strong, even when compared to other heavy-bodied snakes and pythons such as redtails and ball pythons. Despite that she weighs less than my (admittedly porky) adult female BP, she is probably twice as strong or more - to judge by how tightly they can squeeze my arms, and what kind of effort it takes to undo her.

If you want a good 'lap snake' I'd suggest a Ball Python or RedTail, depending on what kind of resources you can devote to housing and maintenance for an adult of that species.

In my opinion, there is no snake out there that is prettier than a BRB, and that makes it all worth the effort though.

5. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

The only problem with taking a BRB out of its enclosure is humidity. I only handle mine for a few minutes a day because the humidity in the room is much lower than thetank. If you have a room where the humidity is high all throughout the room then that'd be great. And yes they are pretty tame(if raised right and isn't just a mean snake by nature) but they don't "sit" in one spot when out of their tank. They tend to cruize around even when handling.

I agree with the above statements, BRB's are beautiful and great snakes but I think a BP might fit your wants better.

6. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

Yes it is confirmed 7 feet. Yes, it is a BRB. Is supposed to be very tame and doesn't mind sitting still. Handled by toddlers. As far as gettting them out and the humidity being harmful, my whole house is about 68-72% humidity, so I'm not worried about that.

I know that Balls and Red tails are good. I don't like either of them. I will not get either of them. I hate both species, and they are not my thing. I want a "different" snake.

Comes with a nice setup.

I'm actually thinking about it......

7. uncertainsky

Well if you feel you can provide proper care and whatnot go for it. People told me not to get Iris for my first snake but I know I can meet all her needs so I have her now. And as an adult they have a greater tolerance range for heat/humidity drops and gains than a baby/juvenile does so you could take it out and be with it but just not for hours at a time and not everyday.

8. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

I'm actually thinking about taking it several hours every day. My house is very humid and is fairly warm.

Oh, and this isn't even REMOTELY close to my first snake.

At all. I've seen a few people say that. It's not. I even have a snake now already. Owned a lot in the past too. :)

9. uncertainsky

Oh I know. I was just saying that because my BRB is my first snake and people told me not to get her. The point is if you know you can care for it right and have the means to do so and if the animal is happy and healthy in your care go for it. It doesn't matter what others say. I know you said your house stays humid but I cannot tell you with good conscious to get this animal without telling you that low humidity for extended periods of time means more than bad sheds for these guys. It can lead to RIs and death. But with that said I'd say go for it they are truly great snakes and pets.

10. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

He just wants to trade for my old Wii and a bird stand I have for the WHOLE setup. I'm not worried at all about health. My house is what, 3-5 percent lower in humdity then his cage? Not too bad if you ask me. And he would still be in his cage a lot.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

In general, an established adult BRB should be able to tolerate humidity drops for a couple hours (during handling sessions.) I wouldn't worry yourself overmuch about it unless you plan on keeping it out all day.

I let my BRB cage dry out a little periodically, because even with fans in that room, I have mold problems if I don't. She always has a humid hide or two though, so even if her ambient humidity is low to dry the substrate, at least 1-2 of her hides will still be suitable. As most snakes, she stays in them all day long, and doesn't venture out until nightfall.

Lately I have taken to altering which side of the cage is kept most humid. She is in a 2x2x4 custom, and I'll spray half of it down, making sure the substrate is thoroughly moistened, and stir it up. Once it dries up, I spray the other side, that way both sides are still getting dried out, and preventing mold, but there is still a little more humidity in there than just letting the whole cage dry out. So far it seems to be working very well. The mold is annoying, but I can't bring myself to give her a completely artificial environment with newspaper and plastic, instead, I prefer real branches and coco-fiber. From what I have read, the white fluffy mold is harmless, but it makes me a little crazy....

The only other thing I can think of is that tameness in animals who aren't normally tame, or stillness in animals that aren't normally still can be a red flag for health. My BRB won't ever hold still for me when she's out. If you have experience with snakes, you'll know what to look for when you go to see it all.

As long as you can meet the needs of the snake, go for it. BRB are great snakes if you're up to it, which it sounds like you are.

I want pics of that monster if you get her! She sounds HUGE for a BRB.

12. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Well-Known Member

Is it really a seven foot male?

13. LunaticFringeInc

LunaticFringeInc Active Member

BRB are awesome snakes for sure and some of the most stunningly colored constrictors, at least in my humble opinion. They can be a little more challenging than many other constrictors though. If your up to the challenge and can properly provide for them then it just might be the hot ticket for you.

Half the snakes I have had have been BRB's and in fact I just jumped back into the Herp game again today when I purchased a BRB neonate. They were the first snake I tried as a matter of fact. While they can be challenging to keep I think the biggest hurdle to cross is providing for the Humidity requirements as many other have eluded too. While they don't exactly score high on the list of Docile snakes all of mine were mild mannored and tamed down considerably after a month or so. Then again I handled my snakes daily for at least 15 minutes and never fed them in the enclosure they resided in. All were inclined though when handled to be pretty curious and liked to cruise around as opposed to just chilling out in your lap.

They are not for everyone but for many they can make a excellent choice!

14. emanresu

emanresu Member

Adult BRBs can handle humidity drops for more than a couple minutes or a couple hours. For the first 2 years of my BRBs life it got adequate humidity, like any young one needs. For the next 4 years it lived in virtually 50% humidity with a large enough water bowl to soak in. Last year I upgraded its tank to a 120 gallon and a filtered 20 Litre swimming area...so the whole tank has perfect humidity. Would I be worried about taking the snake out in 50% humidity for a few hours each day? Absolutely not, they are much hardier than most people believe. I wouldn't advise 50% humidity, but I made up for it with the new setup.

Also, they are very active when taken out of the cage, and mine doesn't like to go back in the cage either lol. They are also very strong, so if you aren't paying attention on the couch and the snake gets under the cushion and around a fixed object have fun trying to get it out. You'll have to pitch a tent next to the couch and wait for it to come out of the inner workings on its own. Great snake, but if you fall asleep on the couch don't expect it to be on your lap when you wake up.

Irish Eyes likes this.