This Disappears When Logged In

Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Kernel, May 25, 2011.

1. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

There is a female baby brazilian rainbow boa at a local reptile shop that I really want. Does anyone know anything about care, cage size, maximum adult size and what size mouse or rat it will eat as an adult?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Here is one, this guy has some awesome ones! He has a caresheet on his site!
    Caresheets

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have a BRB. Her cage has about 6 ft of floor space (being approx 3x2x2 ft.)

You will need to make a custom cage for this animal - or buy one. They simply do not make suitable cages for BRBs or most boas.

You will need to build a cage that will hold humidity very well (no screen.) but will not rot from the same humidity, or grow mold.

An adult BRB will take midsize or large rats with ease - but it will take a while to get them to that size. I have had mine for 3 years, and she is not yet fully grown. They are not the fastest growing snakes out there.

4. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Temperament wise, they are reputed to be nippy as babies but tame down with handling and age. Mine has always been a perfect little sweetheart. Never refused a meal, and never so much as hissed at me.

Mine is in a 4x2x1.5' cage, but 4x2x2 will not go to waste. They will spend some time climbing. As Dragoness said, humidity is the top priority in caging. Temps are pretty simple, 90-92 for a hot spot, 86-88 for a warm side ambient temp, and 78-80 cool side ambient. Thats what mine stays at anyways. Large water bowl is a must, they do like to soak from time to time.

Coconut husk fibers are an excellent substrate, they will burrow if the humidity is too low or there aren't enough hiding spots. I suggest cork bark hides, or something else that has a low profile. They like to be wedged in, so a hide that is too high to touch their back will probably be ignored.

I've noticed if my boa is burrowed, its because something isn't right in the cage. Either he is too dry, isn't feeling secure, or is too hot. When conditions are right, he will be right under one of his hides.

Humidity needs to be over 80% at all times, and thats for sub-adults and above. For hatchlings and juveniles, its needs to be at least 90%. When I got mine as a baby, I was using a screen lid, not enough misting, and a non-digital hygrometer. He ended up with a nasty RI that turned into pneumonia. $600 later at the vet he made it through just fine, but all that could have been avoided if I did my research.

Over-all, they are fantastic snakes, and i would recommend them to anyone who can prove competency in maintaining a consistently humid enclosure.

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

This is also a very good site with a great caresheet:
    The Rainbow Boa.co.uk - Brazilian Rainbow Boa care sheet, Brazilian Rainbow boa care, Brazilian Rainbow Boa information, Brazilian Rainbow Boa breeding, Brazilian Rainbow boas in captivity.

BRBs are great mid-sized boas. They tend to be good eaters, they are absolutely gorgeous: semi-arboreal, so they like to climb at night. They can be nippy, but calm down with careful handling.
    I'd recommend looking for a breeder instead of buying from a reptile shop... I had a bad experience, trying to "rescue" an overpriced, underweight BRB. (She ended up having a chronic vomiting syndrome and died.)
    I never bought a reptile from a shop again.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Thats a great caresheet Andrea!

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

The guy in the UK that has that website was VERY friendly and helpful to me via e-mail when I had problems with poor "Q".

If I lived in the UK, I'd definitely buy from him. He knows his rainbows!!!

8. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Thanks for the info guys. I already have so many snake to take care of and I don't know if I want to mess with trying to keep the humidity up. Are there any other mid size boas that don't need high humidity?

9. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

All snakes need a specific amount of humidity, either more or less, in a proper cage it really isn't all that different to keep humidity just a bit higher or lowerthan a different snake, at least that has been my experience. But it's all about if you can get a good setup first I think.

There are some common boas(central american boas, hogg island boas, etc.) that require similar humidity than a regular common boa.

On a slightly smaller end there are also rosy boas/even smaller are kenyan sand boas. They need very little humidity at all, you might end up having to deal with keeping humidity out depending on where you live.

10. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

Humidity isn't hard to keep up in a proper enclosure (ex, glass rather than mesh). All you need is a misting system or humidifier. You can buy foggers and other things from the pet store, that way you don't have to try to keep humidity up by spraying. That's a lot harder to do.

11. Flint

Flint Elite Member

In my rainbow's cage the humidity is a breeze. It was a huge hassle when he was in his aquarium. But now in his wooden enclosure I built, its no problem. I only need to mist 2-3 times a week, and it never drops below 75%. Its just a matter of finding the balance between too much ventilation, and too little. Too much, humidity pluments. Too little, mold begins to grow. I have 4 vents installed, but 3 are covered with duct tape. And that works perfect for me.

12. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Here's my suggestion: build a 4x2x2' enclosure. That will be perfect for any of the mid-sized boas you are planning on. Then, furnish it with the heat and substrate and all. And see if you can maintain the humidity and heat for maybe a week or 2. If its too much of a hassle, then try maintaining the conditions for one of the other dwarf common boa localities mentioned here (hogg island, central american, etc.) And see how that goes. That same cage will be perfect either way.

Ooh, also, do a google search for "boa longicauda" or "peruvian short tail boa" and perhaps type in "high white" or "high contrast". The most BEAUTIFUL boa constrictor subspecies I've seen, and they stay in the 5-6' range. I would have one, if I didn't have Fluffy lol. No room for another 4x2x2 :( I would post a pic but I'm on my blackberry. Check em out!

13. twilcox1313

twilcox1313 Active Member

Yes, Humidity is crucial it has to stay high, that is about the only thing that's difficult about owning a BRB.
    I have CRB and they are pretty much the same when it comes to Husbandry
    with very slight differences...

I had 2 redtails once, one was a nomal the other was a Caulkers Cay RTB (dwarf Het) she was beautiful, i should have never gotten rid of her, she was roughly 5 foot at 3 years old, baught her as a yearling...REGRETS! aargh!