This Disappears When Logged In

Brazilian Rainbow Boa Set Up

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by jltarin, May 6, 2014.

1. jltarin

jltarin Member

Hello, This is my first post here so bare with me please ;) I got a Brazilian rainbow boa last weekend and have it currently in a sterlite container. The humidity will not go anywhere near 80% .. I can get it to 60% but then it plateaus off. The heat will stay at 75-80 degrees. I bought an APcages T8 cage which once I get it.. will be very nice.. But I'm concerned on keeping the humidity and heat in that large of a enclosure. Does anyone have any tips on getting the humidity up in the sterlite until APcages can get my cage finished? I have two hides, using Eco earth and sphagnum moss as substrate, and I mist twice a day. My little guy eats like a trooper.. so doing OK at the moment :) I owned a Savanna Monitor in the years past and I'm shocked at how low maintenance Monitors are. Anyways.. thank you for your time reading this.. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I need help with a name.. does anyone have any clever ideas?

Attached Files:

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

How are you measuring these temps and humidity. That helps tremendously.

He looks like he is still a baby. I wouldn't keep him in anything bigger than a small tote until he gets bigger. Plus side, it'll give you more time to perfect temps and humidity in his adult enclosure.

They are very susceptible to wrong temps and humidity.

3. jltarin

jltarin Member

I have a gauge from zilla that measures heat and humidity right now.. He's in a gasket type sterlite container.. I cannot get the humidity over 60% the only light I have on it is a non heat lamp to simulate the sun and a red light at night.. I mist the cage 2x per day and keep the sphagnum moss damp.. there's a large bowl of water on the warm side of the enclosure.. I also have a heat mat under the cage.. I'm thinking about taking the ECO earth coconut fiber out.. it's doing nothing but staying wet.. I might just move to paper towels with a sphagnum moss hide..

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

You need to get a digital thermometer with probe. The dial thermometers and hygrometers are as much as 15% off. It only measures the exact location and even that's usually off.

I got my digital thermometer and hygrometer with probe at Walmart for 12.00. It's in the Isle with the outdoor thermometers.

After you get that in, then see what the actual temps and humidity is 13 to 24 hours after installing it and go from there.

5. jltarin

jltarin Member

Ive got in the mail a Johnson Controls thermometer with probe.. I will work on getting a hygrometer today! Thank you so much!

Where would you place the hygrometer and thermometer.. I want to make sure I'm getting the correct reading.. mount it to the side or have it dangling in the open ventilation holes that I made?

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Dangling in the air if you can. That way you can get an accurate reading of the humidity in the air. For thermometer, you want the basking spot, so you would mount it wherever that happens to be. I also got temp guns (appx 20.00) to use to get all the temps. With the probes, that's the only place it will measure but it is accurate.

7. jltarin

jltarin Member

Temp gun is a good idea.. I didn't think of that.. we have one at home.. Great ideas!

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I couldn't live without mine. I have 3 that I use for everything under the sun. Temp of rooms, temps of food, reptile, arachnid temps, I love it.

9. jltarin

jltarin Member

I appreciate your patience.. I probably should not have gotten such a complex species but I'm learning and I like a good challenge..

10. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Not a big deal. It happens. There are more complex reptiles. Just don't go for a green tree python or emerald tree boa without some experience under your belt. They are hard to keep. Like worse than brb's. As long as you can get humidity and temps right, brb's are good and beautiful snakes. One of my favorites actually. I wish I still had mine.

11. Khronik

Khronik Active Member

I would agree with everyone always saying to use a digital device for measuring, But here's my experience.

Before my wife(fiancee at the time) and I bought our BRB early last year I had never owned a tropical/high humidity reptile and never used guages.
    I live in the southwest and always owned desert species(usually self caught).
    Bullsnake, corn snake, horny toads, collared lizards etc.

Before we bought our BRB we did a lot of research and talking to local exotic reptile stores which helped tremendously.

We started our BRB in a 15gallon tank with a screen top that we cling wrapped and duct taped about 98% of it. Don't use any lights still to this day; ended up getting a humidity guage(non digital) and it was reading 80-95% humidity depending on if we just sprayed the tank or not.
    Use a rather large(1/3 floor space) tubberware for water, eco earth mixed with zoomed/eco cypress mulch, and sphagnum moss all over the tank. Had two small tubberwares with the lids on a small hole cut out and filed down(for smoothness) on the hot end over the under tank heater and one on the cool end. Also had some type of wood that's supposed to resist molding/bacteria very well spread throughout the tank to make extra hides.

We have had no issues at all, always sheds in one piece except for the first shed when we got him(the local shop had just picked him up and drove him to phoenix from California where they get their reptiles).
    No signs of scale rot, RI, etc.

We got a digital temp gauge a few months back and used it a short while to make sure the temps for him and our Chinese water dragon were OK(they were perfect).
    We now only use it every now and then to make sure the temps are still stable(they still are).

We no longer use our humidity guage because after playing with the setup and studying our own tank we don't need it. Only thing I will say about the non digital humidity guages is that you don't want water to get behind the seal because that we found will give an inaccurate reading(I'm talking a good amount of water, not just residual spray water or condensation)

If you maintain your tank regularly and find these specifications within your tank by what you do with it, I'm sure you will also find that you don't need them. If your tank is fluctuating that bad that you need them then I would say; the tank and reptile are not being maintained properly

We are in the process of setting up bio active substrate for both our BRB and CWD so we will definitely be repeating the learning process as we have never used it before.

Last edited: May 24, 2014