This Disappears When Logged In

Brazilian Rainbow Boa Help

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Khronik, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Khronik

Khronik Active Member

Hey all, my fiance and I got a baby BRB a month ago as of 8/6/13.
    Heres some background...

Temporary Cage:
    15gallon glass tank, with screen lid(mostly covered with a damp towel)
    Undertank heater covering about 1/5-1/6 the tank.
    Ecoearth as substrate.
    Used moss on top of the substrate before completely changing the substrate, will be getting more.
    Approximately 7Lx4Wx2H plastic containter for water(partially on undertank heater)
    Spraying at least twice a day.

Humidity is holding around 75-80%
    When we had the moss, it was sitting around 90-95%, but we also had the top covered(minus 1centimeter long ways) with aluminum foil.
    Switched to the damp towel to allow more air flow, and try avoiding rapid mold growth.

Permanent Cage:
    Will be building a 6Lx4Wx2or3H, or possibly a hexagonal cage of similar size for display

Have done several searches on proper feeding/care and found most people feed fuzzy mice or pinky rats as hatchlings.
    Found one site showing that the appropriate size is 13% of the snakes weight, what is the proper size to feed?

We fed one pinky mouse, per the shop owners, for the first two weeks(7 days after purchase).
    On the 6th we decided to weigh him(36grams) and fed him two pinky mice, but I think we may have partially starved him for the first two weeks?..
    Should we be feeding him fuzzy mice, and is the appropriate size rodent supposed to be 13% of his weight?
    p.s. feeding him frozen/thawed mice and in a seperate container from the cage

Any other tips/suggestions also appreciated.
    p.s. is there a natural substrate that is immune to molding?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have never fed by weight. Choose a feeder about as big around or a little larger than the snake's body at the widest point. After feeding there should be a noticeable lump in the snakes body.

3. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

Baby BRB's (~30-36 grams) can take Hopper mice as first meal. I normally start my babies off with a little bit smaller meal, Large fuzzy or small hopper for the first month or so and then go with normal hoppers. I do raise my own feeders so I can select just the right one for each baby.

And I believe Cypress mulch is mold resistant.