This Disappears When Logged In

Brands of Sand Substrate

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Orca, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Orca

Orca Elite Member

First, the disclaimer. I don't use sand for my reptiles nor do I ever recommend using sand for reptiles. In fact, I talk customers out of it as a substrate for their dragons and geckos on a regular basis.

Second, the question. Of the brands out there that make reptile sand, which is the most safe (if any)? The small, local chain of stores that I work for is going to carry some brand of reptile sand. I can't change that. Nor can I talk to every customer and change everyone's mind. Right now the two brands we carry are Zoo Med Repti Sand and Zoo Med Vita Sand. One of the stores brought in Reptilite by Blue Iguana. It claims to be edible and digestible but so don't the others. Opinions on this brand? Or other sand brands?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Calcium sand is calcium sand regardless as to who manufactures it. They are all the exact same stuff.

The thing people need to realize is that each of them ARE digestible like they claim.

Instead of me going on a tangent in this thread, I will simply link an article I put together on this topic:

Calcium Sand - Dangers

If you were talking normal sand, I would simply state that you should go with the absolute smallest grained. With calcium sand it doesn't matter. The affects will always be the same regardless of the grain size.

3. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Thanks for giving me that. I knew about the impaction and eye infection risk, but didn't know the other details.