This Disappears When Logged In

Brand New Desert Kingsnake

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Grant, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Grant

Grant Member

Hi everyone! First post here. I got a Desert Kingsnake at a reptile expo today. Not sure exactly how old he/she is but it's pretty slim snake, and maybe 10-12 inches long. I got also got a 10gallon tank with aspen, a water bowl, and an enclosure.

First question. The zilla freshair nonstick clips do not fit on the cage. I went and got some smaller clamps so I'll see if those work.

Second + more important question. I went to the petstore to get a thermometer, lamp, heating mat. When I came back, I sat down on the couch about two feet from the tank which is on the floor (waiting for the mat and lamps before I put him on my desk.) He had an extremely negative reaction, recoiled, tail rattling. I stayed where I was on the couch and he stayed with the same posture, he even striked the tank in my direction.

Any thoughts? Did my walking on the floor scare him? Thanks :)

2. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Firstly, I've never heard of the fresh sure clips, so i can't help there. Secondly, the defensive behavior its probably because he's new and doesn't trust you.how big is the animal?

I just realized you stated how big the king was, sorry:)

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

if I remember correctly kings are nippy as babies.... Do you have enough cover for it to hide? Seems like a natural reaction for a new baby

4. Tymonster

Tymonster Active Member

Yea it will continue to do that for a little while I would think if it's a hatchling. Just make sure to let it adjust for a bit, then as long as you handle it more often than you feed, it will begin to warm up to you :)

5. justor

justor Elite Member

It's pretty normal for a baby king. I would cover three sides of the tank with paper or cardboard or something so only the front is exposed. It will make him feel more secure as he adjusts to his new home.

6. Grant

Grant Member

Great tips thanks guys! I haven't tried to hold him yet. Wanted to give him a few days to adjust.

7. Grant

Grant Member

Another question. How often should he be drinkining? He still spends most of his time completely submerged in the flooring.

8. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

I don't know how often, but if there is water and he's thirsty he'll drink.

9. Grant

Grant Member

Haha okay one more question. What time of the day should I try and feed him? I tried this morning about 10am with a thawed pinky on a paper towel. He totally ignored it.

10. Grant

Grant Member

He ate :D

11. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Hey! Congratulations!:)