This Disappears When Logged In

Brand New Baby Hasn't Eaten Yet

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by medusa1974, Jun 3, 2013.

1. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

So my fiance came home Sat. with a baby albino sunfire retic. She is somewhat new to snakes so she didn't ask the seller if he had eaten yet. I called the seller and asked all I could of him and he informed me that he sold the snake to my fiance so inexpensively because he hadn't taken him first meal. He is only 70-80 grams(he is tiny)

I have him in a 55 gallon long tank with a plexiglass top.
    undertank heat with a 75watt basking light, he is on newspaper for now.
    His temp is 88 on the hot side 80-81 on the cool side, 80% humidity all regulated by a reptistat

I've tried to get him to eat a F/T pinkie mouse a live pinkie mouse several times without any luck. Anyone have any advice to get him to take a meal without assist feeding him. He is still pretty active so I'm not freaking out yet but it will ease my mind if I can get some ideas on how to get him to take his first meal.

2. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

This little trick works most of the time.
    Take a razor blade and cut the pinkie from between the eyes to the back of the head (along the top) exposing the brains.
    Usually they cannot resist.
    Good luck!

3. justor

justor Elite Member

How are you going about feeding? Do you dangle it from tongs in front of the snake or just leave it in the tank? How does the width of the pinkies compare to the width of the snake? What time of day are you trying to feed?

I actually recommend you wait about a week to let the snake get settled into its new home before trying to feed. Keep disturbances to a minimum. You should have better luck at that point. You can try braining the mouse like the above post suggested, but it may not be necessary. How long ago did the snake hatch?

4. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone the braining trick worked. He is only a couple of weeks old. I agree with you Justor I normally let them settle in but with this being a bombshell dropped on me I wanted to make sure I could get it to eat asap, so if there were any problems I could contact the seller. I'm still amazed he even sold the snake to her without making sure it sheds and eats well.

5. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

That's great news!
    I am never at ease until I see a new snake eat.
    Thanks for posting back!

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

IMO selling without establishing a snake is very irresponsible. happy to hear you got it to eat!