This Disappears When Logged In

Brand New Baby Boa!

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by PrincessPiper, May 30, 2012.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

if there are shows in your area, check them. Many have rodent vendors that will sell you rodents in bulk. Bulk ranging from packages of ten to packages of a hundred.

Failing that, you can buy live in bulk, gut load them with healthy food, and knock them out and freeze them yourself. Most rodent farms use CO2. You can get CO2 from dry ice, or buy it canned from paintball supply stores.

2. mrsplumbfitt

mrsplumbfitt Well-Known Member

On the feeding topic, I have a 2 mth old ball python. I feed him a sm mouse once a week! Tuesdays are our feeding day! Good luck and Congrats on new addition.

3. PrincessPiper

PrincessPiper Well-Known Member

Ok I got a hopper and today is her feeding day and the mouse seems huge compared to her! Will she still try to eat it? the mouse thawed all bent looking and if the mouse was straight it would be the right size. Should I cut the mouse in half or something? She hasn't even gone near it. Last time she ate within two minutes.

4. PrincessPiper

Well don't listen to me, one minute after I posted this she had her mouth on the head of the mouse and now she already has the whole thing eaten! :)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! It often surprises new keepers just how big they can handle.
    People tend to look at that tiny head and judge by that. Resulting in underfeeding.

6. xViLLaiN

xViLLaiN Banned User

It's one species in the world where the saying "Your eyes were bigger than your stomach" doesn't fit. :)

7. PrincessPiper

and I have successfully left her alone for three days. :) Go me! Hard but I did it.

8. PrincessPiper

here are some pictures i'll upload more later if these work.

Attached Files:

9. Merlin

LOL! If you have ever been graced by the smell of regurgitated mouse,...it won't be hard to do.
    You do however have an issue. Having the tank in front of a window is a dangerous situation. The sunshine coming thru the glass can quickly overheat the tank.
    Think getting in a car in summer with the windows all rolled up.

10. PrincessPiper

Ok i have a very small house. Can I move her to the right away from the window? The window will still be pretty close though but not right agaist it.

11. Merlin

You need to move it to where there is no way that sunlight can fall on the tank.
    And keep in mind that the sun's placement will change over the course of the year.

12. BostonIrish

BostonIrish New Member

very nice!