This Disappears When Logged In

Brand New Baby Boa!

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by PrincessPiper, May 30, 2012.

1. PrincessPiper

PrincessPiper Well-Known Member

I just got him three days ago on Sunday, I purchased him from a reliable breeder in my area. I have him in a 55 gallon with a hot/cold side, water dish, hide, etc. I'm just wondering if any one has any tips for me? I fed him a frozen pinky Monday night just fine and he's just been chilling in the corner since then I'm wondering if this is normal? I'm probably just being a spaz. Also how often would you feed him? I purchased a boa book, but I'd rather know from personal experiences. He is about 18 inches long and a month old red tail.

2. PrincessPiper

I should also add that Sunday night he got out of his cage so we bought a new lid and Monday morning he got out of his cage. I have since figured out the issue, and he wasn't escaping he was just laying on top where the sun from the window was coming in.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Holing up after feeding is normal. They just lay around and digest.
    However a pinky really isn't big enough. You should be feeding hoppers at the least. And maybe even larger. There should be a VERY noticeable lump after feeding.
    For babies feed every 7 days.
    And don't handle for 48 hours after feeding. Or you may get the food back!
    What are the temperatures in the tank and what are you using to measure them.
    If you can post some photos of the enclosure we can help you fine tune things.

4. xViLLaiN

xViLLaiN Banned User

Congrats on the new addition to your family. Pics are a must have! haha.

Like merlin has already said, you should be feeding larger than a pinkie and of the course the more info you give us, the better we can help you sustain the best possible enclosure for your new herp.

5. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

I'm not dissagreeing with anyone, but I've always feed my baby boas every 3-4 days. Some people do only feed once a week, I feel your baby should be about 3 foot by the time hea a year old. That's my take on baby boas.

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats called power feeding. It kills boas.

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Be careful about the snake "getting out"!! He may wander further next time and then you'll be posting a "Help, lost boa!" thread.
    Also if the enclosure is glass, be careful that it is out of direct sunlight or the temps could skyrocket and your snake could roast in there!
    Here is the HC caresheet on Boa constrictors: Common Boa Constrictor Caresheet (Boa constrictor imperator)

8. PrincessPiper

My pictures aren't working!

9. PrincessPiper

Ok, since my pictures aren't working right now I will explain what is in the tank. I have newspaper substrate and fake ivy, also a log, and a hidey hole. (although she prefers the ivy) I do have a heat rock, but it is not turned on. I just use it as his basking spot. I have a heating pad underneath and the water dish is on top of that. I can't tell you my exact temperature because I am using the aquarium sticky thermometers and found out those don't work, so tonight I am running to the store to get two digital thermometers. If we do go by the sticky I am running 76/78 on cold side and about 86/88 on warm side. Can I buy the hoppers frozen? My tank is glass with a homemade screen lid. It holds him in now though. :)

10. PrincessPiper

He is in front of a window but it has black out curtains

11. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

I've always fead them like that. Even when I was breeding boas, I've never had a death from feeding like that honistly.

12. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

You can get all sizes of rodents frozen. Even rats come frozen.

13. xViLLaiN

xViLLaiN Banned User

The real problem with power feeding is that the animal grows faster than is healthy. It is detrimental to their development to grow too fast. Internal organs don't keep up and you end up with a snake that is obese and unhealthy and WILL shorten their life span. Stick to feeding every week and only once a week. If the prey is not leaving a noticeable lump in your Boa's belly, then you should increase the size on the next feeding which should be no sooner than a week later. It may not KILL them, but it can cause developmental issues with your snake. Please also keep in mind that a snakes digestive system is unique and is built to go without food for several days and weeks.

14. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Don't forget about the negative effects power feeding has on bone density!

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The MOST frequent I have EVER heard of feeding a snake is every 5-7 days, and that only for underweight individuals, or very young animals. That said, even young animals, and those with only moderate malnourishment still do fine on weekly feedings. Even sick snakes that get tube fed do not get fed every 3 days. There is really no reason to feed a snake that often, especially if it can be detrimental in the long run. Many breeders do it anyways, in order to get their breeding stock to a breedable size/weight sooner, rather than later.

Most baby boas can easily handle mid-sized mice, or rat pinkies/pups with ease. Pink mice are nothing but a snack to a snake that size - the rule of thumb for feeding snakes is that they can easily and comfortably consume prey items 1-1.5 times their girth at their thickest point. If your snake is an inch thick at it's thickest, it can easily eat rats and mice 1-1.5 inches thick!

16. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Power feeding is, in my opinion, a folly. Many sites warn against over feeding snakes because it makes them obese, and obesity in any animal is never good. My personal rule and opinion is that if you can't take care of the animal properly, you shouldn't have it..

Interesting tale, I ended up feeding my bp a rat that, in my opinion, was too large for her but after half an hour of breaking the rats shoulders down to a manageable size she finally got it down, the fatty.

Also it seems to me like OP is doing everything correct :)

17. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

All I'm gunna say is that I've never had obesity in my snakes, never had problems of any kind. The guy I've always got info for mu snakes breeds snakes for ron tremper. If he don't know what he's doing he wouldn't be breeding for him. As babys they go thru food quickly.

18. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

"Quickly" means being fed once every 7 days for baby boas. Just because a breeder is power feeding that does not mean you should follow in his foot steps. What we are all telling you is good. You are over feeding and should consider a new feeding schedule...

19. PrincessPiper

thank you! She is getting more used to her tank and I went and bought two separate thermometers, hygrometer, another hidey hole, and a heat lamp. I am running 76 cool now and about 88 warm still. :) I went and bought hopper mice for Monday night feeding. Just wishing someone close to me used frozen feeders so I could justify buying in bulk. :(

20. xViLLaiN

xViLLaiN Banned User

Personally, I would worry about buying in bulk unless you planned to buy many different sizes. Who would want to get stuck with 10 months of hoppers when your herp could easily take a large mouse? lol

I think when they get older and their growth rate slows down drastically would be the best time to buy in bulk, I plan to buy plenty of jumbo rats when the time comes in bulk.