This Disappears When Logged In

Boy Scouts- Rant

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Kendalle, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

Never mind... I'm NOT saying though that it's OK to take any animal from the wild and ALL my pets are adopted.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Be very careful with that thinking! It can get you in a whole lot of trouble!
    Most leases will have a clause in there where if they find that you have pets that are not allowed they can levy a fine on you. For every individual animal that you have!
    I lived in an apartment that, while they would allow certain types of pets, they did require a deposit for each animal. When I moved in I was told that the deposit was not necessary since all my animals were confined to cages and could not damage their property. Over the course of years every manager that they hired as well as the actual owner of the property had been in my Apt to do show and tell with the reptiles.
    Then they decided to sell the property and the corporate management company sent me a letter informing me that since I had sneaked in a bunch of undeclared animals without letting anyone know hey were levying a fine on me that added up into several thousands of dollars.
    Of course when I took them to task about it since the property's actual owner had been in my home and handled my snakes they backed off.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I read every single line of my lease contract, and asked explicitly about reptiles before I moved into my place. The only pet rules they have here are the deposits for cats and dogs. Caged/Tanked animals are fine. If they decided to try to change their colors about that, I'd cancel my lease if I couldn't convince them to be sensible.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I have also heard that in some instances insurance companies can deny you home owners insurance if they find out you own reptiles. Some will insure you but they charge extra for exotic animal ownership.

5. David McConley

Sorry I forgot to add this- I don't agree with allowing a young person take turtle eggs "willy-nilly" from their nest for a Boy Scout project. HOWEVER... Every on of us owns reptiles that at one time or another was linked to a wild-caught animal somewhere down the line. Where would we all be without the first person who took a wild reptile thinking "Hey what a great pet idea."? The point I am trying so inartictulately to make is under which conditions is it right to take an animal from the wild and who has the power to say yes or no?

6. kiraturmc

kiraturmc Elite Member

David - in some cases, insurance companies will charge you more for other pets, specifically certain breeds of dog. I was told that my doberman may cause me a problem should I ever have a claim. Mind you, he was a woosy dog and would bark and then hide... didn't matter. I looked into my HO policy, and sure enough, pit bulls, dobermans and rotties were on the list. They also can deny coverage for things like injuries incurred from use of trampolines. So, it's not just reptiles that are targeted in those instances.

You do bring up an interesting point though about "when is it OK to remove an animal from the wild and who should make that decision". Not sure I have the answer to that, but you could even take that argument back to the wolf and the line down to domesticated dogs. Seems like a quandry, no matter what way you look at it, IMHO.

7. David McConley

Thanks Kiraturmc, just trying to see both ends of the coin. As far as the insurance goes, I have not looked at mine as we had the house and insurance before we got the reptiles. It might be worth looking into though. I was aware of the dogs as extra costs for insurability but did not know the reasoning behind it (I thought maybe for the destruction to the house and the subsequent repairs).

As far as the wolf issue-all I can say is that man has always taken animals for food and companionship from the beginning and we continue to do so today.

8. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I know that every pet was once taken from the wild, however, I hope the people doing it knew what it was.

9. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

As far as the Boy Scout Issue - As a Trained Boy Scout Leader (and Adult Trainer for the Boy Scouts), the Merit Badge Counselors these boys go to have total say over how the Merit Badge is conducted. The boys are not to start any merit badge without first consulting with a Merit Badge Counselor. The Counselor is supposed to discuss the entire badge, and agree to the means the Scout is to earn the badge.

The option for caring for a reptile for a month is just that - an option. And if the Scout has access to a pet they may already have, or a friend or parent has - then they are encouraged to take care of one so they can learn first hand. But again that would be with guidance.

It doesn't sound like (I'm guessing since I didn't read the actual comments) this boy was given proper (if any guidance) on this merit badge. And that is a shame, because he won't learn a thing and will probably break many of the points of the Scout Law in the process.

The disclaimer at the bottom that talks about releasing animals back in the wild, should be worded differently -- but it's on points like this that the counselor should be guiding the youth to make the right choices in how to earn this badge.

Unfortunately, as a Scout Trainer I can tell you first hand many adults aren't properly trained (and don't think they need to be) - so how can they give proper guidance to the youth when they don't even have proper guidance. It's really sad.

10. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

This is what happened to me at first, I was meant to get 2 carpets but I got one early and the other would be too small to go with my female. I'm only allowed my next pet if I purchase every thing and pay for them! Mum believes Delilah is the only one of my pets she would pay to feed as she is also in love with her. Also my parents are being careful with money as they do not want to just spend a whole lot of money and get in det.

11. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

I don't know were this kid got his turtle from. I mean if it was a red eared slider from a place where people kept releasing their pets and they were over populating... That might be another story. Because it's not native it might be better to take it from the wild. But no matter where it's from I do agree he has to have the right conditions before he even thinks about getting one from anywhere.

12. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I don't know if it was a red ear slider or not, he said they were red ear slider eggs and then said he never saw the adult turtle. his mom did but didn't bother to look at it before she put it out by the pool. And it was gone when he looked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.