This Disappears When Logged In

Box Turtles Breeding

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by GAGT, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GAGT

GAGT Active Member

Lets start from the begining. I was looking for a box turtle to give my male(calvin) a companion (not to breed). I was told that male box turtles fight with each other so i should get a female. So i started looking for a female. Then about a year or two later i found one. I introduced them and they really liked each other. I knew it was a possibility that the female might have already been pregnant with that three year thingy. Then one day i caught them breeding :eek: (sorry, no pics). So know i want to continue the breeding project.

Questions:
    1. Should i separate them now that they breed?
    2. What does the tank need for her to lay eggs?
    3. What time of year do they lay eggs?
    4. Will i need an incubater?
    5. Will she stop eatting?
    6. Is there a certain temp and humidity that i need for her to lay eggs?
    7. How many eggs do they lay?

Thank you.

2. GAGT

GAGT Active Member

They are eastern box turtles. srry

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

seperation should not be necessary,,just keep an eye on the male and if he becomes too aggressive then you might want to seperate them. Make sure there is a damp substrate area in the tank for the female to deposit the eggs (a moist vermiculite/sand mix will do). Being they are in captivity they do not always follow normal egg laying seasons so it can happen anytime. Once the eggs are laid you will need to place them in an incubater,http://www.herpcenter.com/article.php?a=40. She should not stop eating and should be given additional calcium supplements

4. GAGT

GAGT Active Member

thanks kenman. Is there any way to see if she is pregnant?

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Not that i know of,,,,,unless a trip to the vet. Anyone have an idea how to tell a pregnant turtle ??

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

BTW,,,,,what do you plan to do with the little ones ???

7. GAGT

GAGT Active Member

It's illegal for me to sell them because i live in PA so i probably will keep a few and give the rest alway.

8. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

You could palpate them.
    Doing this you would gently stick your pinkie finger in front of the back leg; Into that gap between the leg and the bridge of the shell. Also, do this while tipping the turtle so the eggs would fall towards the side you are palpating and be careful because doing this could give your finger a nice squeeze if they close up their shells.
    Zane

9. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I'm in the same boat with my baby spotted turtles,,,,I'm breeding them to release the hatchlings in the wild in order to boost the already decimated local population

10. GAGT

GAGT Active Member

We have some spotted turtles around here. I have one too. I'll be back on to post pics soon.

11. GAGT

GAGT Active Member

sorry no pics. the digital camara isnt working.

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

When she starts getting cravings for strange and random foods at strange and random times of day, then I think that means she's pregnant, right? ;) :p

Good luck with the breeding project!

13. GAGT

GAGT Active Member

thanks furryscaly. I need all the help i can get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.