This Disappears When Logged In

Box Turtle Rescue

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by mshrmheadcharge, Jun 4, 2015.

1. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I found an Eastern Box Turtle today that has a pretty nasty ear infection, large enough to require surgery. I took her in and called a wildlife rehab center that is willing to pay for her surgery and release her once she's been rehabilitated.
    I have her in a 4' long and maybe 2' wide Rubbermaid container with mulch and dirt as a substrate. I've got a coil bulb on her now but noting to measure the basking temp with. The ambient temp in my house is 75 deg f so I think she will be alright temperature wise, for now. I'm bringing her to the wildlife center on Saturday, hopefully she is comfortable until then.

Attached Files:

Darkbird and arojas7112 like this.
  2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Ouch! Let us know how it goes.

3. mshrmheadcharge

So far her abscess hasn't ruptured, thank goodness. She's been soaking, drinking water and burrowing. I think she will be fine once this infection is taken care of. Tomorrow morning can't come fast enough.

4. mshrmheadcharge

A little update, turtle is having her abscess lanced and will be coming home with me today. The plan is to allow the wound to close then return her to her territory in 4-6 weeks. She lives in the woods behind my house, this isn't my first encounter with her and thanks to the Dr that is willing to do the procedure it won't be my last. I couldn't be happier for her!
    I'll post photos of the wound once I get her home today. Gotta go set up a real enclosure for her now.

CrazySnakeLady likes this.
  5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm glad things are going smoothly and she'll be able to go back to her original home. Hopefully she keeps coming around to visit.