This Disappears When Logged In

Bosc Enclosure (In Progress)

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by bladerunner, Mar 20, 2014.

1. kjm

kjm Member

Good luck to you!! It's already looking good :)

2. bladerunner

bladerunner Well-Known Member

I don't want to set my house on fire. Thanks, Merlin.

3. bladerunner

6. IMAG0415.jpg

7. IMAG0416.jpg

8. IMAG0420.jpg

9. IMAG0421.jpg

This is taking so long to build. I'm amazed I've been able to come this far with it, I've learned a lot. I can almost see the finish line.

4. bladerunner

What is a good way to keep surface objects from collapsing when they burrow?

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

If it's heavy enough to hurt them its best if it's resting on the enclosure bottom. And yes that means burying it up to 2' of dirt sometimes. Or it should be so large they will have trouble undermining it enough to move it, as in having a big 24" peice of tile for a basking spot or a long branch which lays on the surface. Branches for climbing should be securely attached to the cage at both ends, or at one end with the other buried deep in the substrate, preferably with the end resting on the cage floor.

6. bladerunner

Thanks, Darkbird.

Here are some more updates:

10: IMAG0422.jpg

11: IMAG0429.jpg

12: IMAG0431.jpg

13: IMAG0432.jpg

• The heights are equal now.

14: IMAG0437.jpg

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I like what you`ve done so far very much...

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Looks good.

9. bladerunner

Huge thanks to this forum and especially, AdamL8, for answering all of my many questions.

Soil/sand just arrived. Busy day ahead. Going to buy some cork hides for the enclosure as well.

10. bladerunner

First pile of dirt:

IMAG0443.jpg

1000 lbs of dirt and sand later. I dug out a hole under the 'mountain' and placed a cork tube under the big cork flat:

IMAG0444.jpg

As you can see I still need another 1000 lbs of dirt most likely, the stone isn't high enough yet:

IMAG0445.jpg

One more shot of the other logs:

IMAG0446.jpg

I have my cockroach setup bought and the Discoids should be here soon. Currently the temp/humidity are in the mid 80s. The basking area needs work still. Critique would be appreciated.

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Critique huh? Umm, needs more dirt? Wait you said that. Crud, I got nothing, it looks awesome to me. Maybe murrindindi or Infernalis will find something I'm not seeing.