This Disappears When Logged In

Bosc Enclosure (In Progress)

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by bladerunner, Mar 20, 2014.

1. bladerunner

bladerunner Well-Known Member

So I've begun the long journey of building "Cornelius's" enclosure. It's going to be a standard 8x4x4. Here are some photos of it so far:

IMAG0406.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

Is this stuff safe, I've heard mixed reports?

IMAG0409.jpg

Couple questions:

-Can I nail down the FRP and then just seal it with silicon instead of using liquid nail to adhere it?
    -I live in Florida, will I still need insulation? The room he/she will be in gets pretty hot to begin with, it sits in the sun all day.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I think that the silicone in question should be fine once cured. I have used the GE before without issues. As for nailing the frp down, I wouldn't. Every hole is another potential leak point, and there's the potential for a dab of silicone to be clawed away even if you coat the nail heads. As for the insulation, it's up to you, just keep in mind it not only helps to keep a cage warm, it helps stabilize internal temps from fluctuations in the ambient temp of the room.

3. bladerunner

Would you suggest Liquid Nails to adhere the FRP or something else?

4. bladerunner

3. unnamed.jpg

Do I need a special drill bit for FRP?

5. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Nope.

6. bladerunner

Does anyone have some fool proof instructions on how to install sliding glass doors?

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Foolproof? Nope sorry :)
    What kind of track are you installing?

8. bladerunner

Aluminum tracks I assume.

9. bladerunner

I saw a post of yours linking to some tracks on Amazon. I guess I'll go with those :).

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Aluminum tracks with rollers are an excellent system, but can be a bit pricey and tricky to setup.
    The plastic tracks are pretty good and if you get polished edges and corners on the glass, slide fairly easy.
    The top part has a deeper inset for the glass than the bottom. You slide the glass up and pull the bottom out to remove them.
    I highly suggest something I do every time still and that is to cut a pc from wood the same thickness as the glass to test your height. You have to be fairly accurate to have come out.

11. bladerunner

Should I be factoring in the FRP expanding and contracting, not sure if it is even an issue.

12. bladerunner

One more thing: I've heard use of drainage layers, is it really necessary? I'm not even sure how I would go about installing it with the way my enclosure is built.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I don`t know of too many keepers using drainage layers, though no reason you couldn`t if you wanted (I understand you don`t but for anyone else who might). The substrate only needs to be slightly moist, and with the heat it`s not likely the enclosure will become a "swamp" unless you overdo the watering!

14. bladerunner

4. IMAG0413.jpg

5. IMAG0414.jpg

Ordered a window, won't be here till the end of the month though :(.

15. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Make sure you line up the enclosure and center it before you get it fully built. It's going to be heavy and if you're anything like me it will annoy you if it's not in just the right spot.

16. bladerunner

Window took forever to get here.

Where can I find pre-wired light fixtures? All I can find is fixtures used for the exterior.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, which particular fixtures are you asking about being pre-wired?

18. bladerunner

For halogen flood lights.

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can get basic work lamps/Chicken brooder lamps at any hardware store. Just make sure that they are rated for the size lamps you intend to use and that they have a ceramic socket. Plastic will melt on you.

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Why can`t you wire them yourself, there are only two wires to connect to the ceramic socket, then to the plug?