This Disappears When Logged In

Book of Dumb Keeper Mistakes, Number 1

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Flint, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Hey All!!

Well, I made my first major mistake as a snake handler tonight lol. I've made serious husbandry mistakes, but this is the first time I've really made a dumb mistake with handling lol.

First, pics. I know you love em :p

bite1.jpg
    bite2.jpg
    bite3q.jpg
    bite4.jpg

First food strike! I had just fed Jacket, and like a COMPLETE idiot, picked up Snakey without washing off the rat smell from my hands. He was sweet and lovely as always, untill he moved around and his nose bumped my finger, he froze, flicked his tongue once, (exactly what he does EVERY time he is about to bite a rat) and bit me before I could put him back. And boy did he hold on!!

Eventually i was able to free one hand, grab him behind the head, and gently lift his teeth off of me. i will check tomorrow to make sure i didn't break any teeth. I just feel bad he didn't get to eat :( The pet food store didn't have any small rats today, and the mediums are too big for him, so i will feed him tomorrow.

So class, what have we learned? haha :confused:
    Well, I learned even the most wonderful, calm, docile snakes, will NOT ignore their dinner! He has always been the perfect snake for me. beautiful, shiny, calm, tolerant of poking, prodding, vet visits, medicine injections, no aggression whatsoever, and an EXCELLENT feeder. So, this changes nothing, I know he's the same lovely snake :x, I'm just in need of a good smack on the back of the head lol. :">

Also, Jacket is doing better :)
    Today i pulled him out without too much difficulty, he's still jumpy and ****y in his cage, but once he's out he's 10x better than when I got him. he flinches when something touches his back, but he is getting there!

Snapped this tonight

img2011012300029.jpg

Then I looked through my photo album, and saw this, I though it was too cute that I got em both like this now :p

38668157942712963713544.jpg

This is an old pic, I'll need to get a newer one of him like this. He has grown since then! Especially now that he's bitten his first human, that's gotta be some kind of secret snake-rite-of-passage right? :-"

Attached Files:

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Well...that's one way to learn!! Hehehe.... I'm sure Snakey was VERY proud of himself. Jacket looks great!!

3. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

When you make your next "Dumb Keeper Mistake" a little bit of alcohol will get Snakey or Jacket to let go easier then prying them off, lessens the possibility of injuring the snake ... Then a couple shots of alcohol for you too if you so choose LOL

4. tedmunds

tedmunds Elite Member

He got you good. Bet you won't forget to clean you hands before handling anymore. From the looks of it.. that is going to itch a lot while it heals. Beautiful snakes.

5. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Yeah I've read about that, how exactly are you supposed to do that? Will rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball dabbed on the nose work? The only other trick I've heard, is more for life or death situations with giant snakes, where you are supposed to bend their tail to the point of breaking, but of course I would never do that to a little snake like my boys lol.

I've been thinking of fashioning a little rubbing alcohol bottle with a squirting top, and rubberband a cotton ball on top of that. So if I get bit, I just grab the bottle, give it a squeeze so the cotton top is wet with alcohol, and i put that on his nose? Would be a good safety tool, kind of like big cat owners who carry spray bottles with water and ammonia.

And yes a few for me would have been nice hahahaha

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad your ok, and in good humor despite the bite!

What snake can resist a nice warm hand that smells like rat! ;)
    Hopefully there won't be a sequel to this book.
    Jacket looks great and so does snakey, love the same pose.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

SMACK!;)

Thats why on feeding day I only handle the rats with a long pair of tongs! From the time they are taken out to thaw I never touch them with my hands.
    That's a new one on ME! You are in a serious situation so you try to cause a snake that can kill you pain? :confused:
    Good luck with that!

The best bet is the alcohol. A cotton swab soaked in alcohol held over the nose is pretty convincing. For the more determined snakes, a bit of whiskey poured in the mouth will change their attitude pretty quickly. Drinking alcohol is preferable for this use as rubbing alcohol is poisonous.

8. mld

And after that you can take a swig yourself.;) Hopefully you both don't end up having to go to AA

9. Merlin

Yep! Multitasking!

10. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Hahaha I always thought that the alcohol was rubbing alcohol!

11. Merlin

Rubbing alcohol on cloth will usually work on smaller snakes.
    But if you have one of the bigger guys on you a simple sniff may not work.

12. Flint

Flint Elite Member

haha hey i won't argue with that, any logical reason to keep a bottle of whiskey by the snake cage sounds good to me!! haha

Good to know that the rubbing alcohol is poisonous, i wasnt sure myself.

Yeah with the tail bending, I'm not sure where i read it, but apparently if a full grown retic or anaconda thinks you are dinner and they intend on killing you, then you or someone near by as a last resort can break the last few inches of their tail. Supposedly they see this as they are constricting incorrectly and broke their own spine somehow, and will release to reposition, giving you time to get away. But I would much rather give my retic a shot of jack than break his tail if i ever get one hahaha

Thank everyone! They are beautiful little boys! My step-mom last week actually held Snakey for a good 5 minutes! She was deathly afraid of snakes, but she loves how beautiful he is and his calm attitude. So, I won't be telling her about my little mistake, she wouldn't quite understand that it was purely food related lol. She is still petrified of Jacket, because he has bitten me out of aggression, and she says he looks much more "snake-like"? Not sure what Snakey looks like then.. haha

13. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Agree! haha

I will also learn from reading this book.

14. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

Rubbing alcohol and drinking alcohol aren't really even the same chemical. The former is isopropyl alcohol (much heavier and gets turned into formaldehyde in your liver if you ingest it, which the bootleggers of prohibition found out causes blindness) and the latter is ethanol, which is the fun kind of alcohol.

But, you know, at least you can be sure he's a good eater.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You don't need a smack on the back of the head - your snake slapped your hand, using sharp pointy things. If the lesson doesn't sink in, he'll probably do it again ;).

I have not heard of the breaking of tails with the larger snakes. I have heard of submerging the head in order to make them release (obviously, this would only be feasible in certain situations!)

16. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Yeah ill need to do some research to see where I got that idea in my head, about the tail breaking. But I much prefer having a trusty bottle of fun nearby to save the day lol.

Just a little update, Snakey is perfectly fine, took his rat like a champ, and was lovely and sweet as always to me. Jacket on the other hand has stopped eating. Its been 3 weeks now, I've still got other ideas to try tho, so if none of that works I will make a vet visit and probably a new thread in the jcp section lol.

17. Merlin

I spoke to a fellow I know who is a long time keeper of the retics. And he has the scars to prove it!
    He said it was the dumbest thing he had ever heard!

18. mld

Too funny but I found this quote in an Israeli Scripture on the interpretation of the bible.

19. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Hey Flint- glad to see that you are learning from your mistakes (and that your children are anxiously helping you learn). Keep listening to your animals and you will become a great keeper. Like all others say, give up on the tail breaking theory, while interesting, it will only result in a snake with a broken tail.

I, unfortunately have to take the bite since I can not have a bottle of alcohol (rubbing or drinking) by any cage because of my three year old son. That's okay though, it is very hard to think about pouring a perfectly good swallow of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam down a snake's throat when he can't even enjoy it. ;).

You were right- I LOVED the pictures- they were AWESOME!! Thanks for that.

20. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Well I'm glad I brought it up to you guys, now I know its complete nonsense! Haha

Yes my snakes are very eager educators hahaha and I love going to class every single day! Now to find a good bottle of "snake repelent" :x