This Disappears When Logged In

Boa Lighting

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by xViLLaiN, Apr 26, 2012.

1. xViLLaiN

xViLLaiN Banned User

Ok so I've been looking online for the best set up for my new Boa, Doom. I heard a lot of good things about Heat Emitters with the use of a thermostat. Here is the set up I found and I was hoping to get feedback on whether this is an ideal set up for my lil Doom. Right now he is in a 40 Gallon Breeder, but will be moving into a custom built enclosure that will be 4x4x4 with plexglass swing open doors, and a heavy duty screen top (for the lights/heat). So Im looking for something that will do good in the current enclosure, as well as the new one when its finished.

Here are the products I found on reptilesupply.com:

Zoo Med Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter - 150 watt

Zilla Premium Reflector Dome 8.5 Inch

Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R

If you can find something wrong with this set up, or know of a place to get these (or simular) items for cheaper, please let me know.

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Why not make a completely enclosed enclosure and use a radiant heat panel for his heat source and a fluorescent light for a light source. I'm doing so for my burmese python and it's worked out very well. Maintaining adequate humidity with a screen top will be A LOT of work, especially considering the surface temps you need constant.

The heat panels are much much much safer and a lot less expensive to run because they operate with fewer amps. Mine is only about 3 amps and it heats an enclosure 8 feet long, 3 feet deep, and 2 feet tall.

Heat panel:
    Pro-Products | Heating Solutions

3. justor

justor Elite Member

I have been wondering, are those heat panels safe if the snake decides to come in direct contact with it? Or do you need to block it off with some screen to prevent burns?

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Justor, if you read the link Aja posted it says they cannot burn or injure your animal.

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

They are intended for use attached to the roof of the enclosure and pointed down to the floor. Animals can come into contact with them with no problems but you wouldn't want anyone lying on it for extended periods of time, just like any heating element. Mine gets fairly warm but I can touch it without issue. :)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Aja What did it cost you? I have been to their site but never saw any prices.

7. xViLLaiN

xViLLaiN Banned User

Yeah thats my only concern with getting it, where's the price? lol

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As far as the CHE. YOu don't reallyneed the whole dome thing. If you build a solid top you can just attach a fixture to the top like this
    IMG_0487.jpg

Attached Files:

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Hey I've tried to post about the price several times but HC isn't letting me for some reason. I select "submit" and a blank page loads...

10. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

My panel was around $180 including shipping and it's approximately 3 feet long and 2 feet wide. However, the price of each panel is based on wattage and size. The folks at Pro-products prefer that people call in and described the materials from which the enclosure is assembled, local climate, and the type of room the enclosure is in. My enclosure is on a brick floor in a renovated garage with little insulation and winters here can be unpredictably cold.

This panel is exactly what I want: it's safe, and I don't have to play guessing games with it. It just works, and reliably, and will for many years to come. :) I love it. It was totally worth the price.