This Disappears When Logged In

Boa Help!

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by westicles, Aug 2, 2013.

1. westicles

westicles Member

Hey guys, I need a little help/advice. I just recently got a 4 month Columbian Boa. Please let me know if this sounds ok. The ambient air temp on the cooler side is around 78-80 degrees, the warmer side is about 85 degrees with a hot spot of 90 degrees. I have an undertank heater to provide the hot spot. I have the pad connected to a vivarium electronics thermostat. My question is where exactly should the probe to the thermostat be? I've read to tape it to the bottom of the enclosure and then I've also read to just let it read hanging. As of now it's taped to the bottom, just want to know if that is accurate. Also, if the thermostat is set to 90 degrees for the heating pad, will that by itself also provide enough heat for the air temp? I'm assuming so since the air temp on the warm side is staying around 85 degrees without any additional heating. The temp in the snake room stays between 78 and 80 degrees. Thanks.

2. savannahmon181

savannahmon181 Elite Member

Sounds good to me boss

3. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

You want to have your probe resting on the same level the snake is on. Taking the temperature too high or too low won't be helpful because it may not necessarily be the same temperature as where the snake is actually spending most of its time.

4. westicles

westicles Member

I have paper towels for a substrate. Even though the undertank heater is set on 90, will enough of that heat go through the paper towels to provide the hot spot?

5. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Ohh paprr towels is a different story. Yeah you're pretty much good keeping it taped to the bottom of the tank.