This Disappears When Logged In

Boa Constrictor Size, Weight, Morphs.etc...? Help? Where to Buy Boas?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Hkg, May 17, 2014.

1. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Okay so I rescued a boa about 3 weeks ago and took him to the vet, found out he had a lower ri for a long time and was under weight at 3 lbs. when he was measured he was 5 feet long and I was told he is about 5 years old. They gave him a shot and gave me medicine but he died the next day (Tuesday)
    So I've seen people with boas that are 2 years old and 5 feet long and 15 lbs then I've seen boas that are about 2 years old and 2 feet long.... How do I know what the appropriate size is for when I get a new boa? Like last night I was searching for a reputable breeder online. I found this site that said the morph _____ then it said it was 4/12/12 and 18". So how come that it is so small after 2 years? I'm sorry I'm just confused.
    My next question is morphs. The boa I had for a week, he was a sunglow super stripe (that's just what I was told). But when I was searching last night boa morphs are like sunglow het T+ and stuff like that. I understand the sunglow and het but not the T+

My next question is what website is good for boas? I want a healthy boa constrictor. Who's growth isn't stunt or anything. And a good morph selection. Do y'all know anywhere? I seen lllreptile had a good selection kinda (not superb) but I'm kinda worried to order live from them. Decor I'm okay with but animals I'm not to sure. Anything helps thanks!!

Oh and I know how to care for these animals. It's just my rescue was so far gone I couldn't save him the week I cared for him.

2. marya1962

marya1962 Elite Member

Wow. It must have felt terrible to lose one, even one that was so far gone. Every rescue I get is like that, too. I don't know anything about genetics, I just wanted to offer sympathy for your loss.

3. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Thank you. Yeah I feel really bad. I was really hoping I could save him. Now I'm super scared of taking in another rescue. I was contacted to take in 3 more baby boas that are under weight and dyhydrated. I'm hesitant now. I'm scared of underlying problems. But I don't know. Thank you for your sympathy! I really appreciate it.

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Is this the one-eyed snake you posted pictures of? If so, he really didn't look underweight. I don't think he died from that, most probably it was the RI that did it + possible stress from previous bad conditions and the move. As for the size, there are different species of Boas out there (and different morphs of them), not just redtails or colombians. Dwarf boas and viper boas are over 2 Times smaller than redtails, and that's just the way they are. Unless the guy who wrote the stats made a typo:)
    As for the "T" bit, this is the only thing I came across:
    Tyrosinase is an enzyme used in the production of melanin. Tyrosinase-Negative Albinism: Lack of melanin due to the inability to make functional tyrosinase. Kahl and Sharp albinos are known as tyrosinase negative albinos.
    Tyrosinase-Positive Albinism: Lack of melanin in animals with fully functional tyrosinase. Melanin is not synthesized because of a defective enzyme other than tyrosinase. In boas, the term has been generalized to include production of less than the normal amount of melanin. This is caused by partly or completely defective enzymes produced by at least two unrelated mutant genes.

As for reliable breeders, LLLReptile, Jeremy Stone and BHB are the only ones that come to my mind right now, with the latter being one of the best ones out there, IMHO.

I hope you find a great companion soon. I'm really sorry for your loss, you did all you could and at least you offered the animal a caring home in his last days.

5. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Yeah. It was the one eyed snake. I don't think the under weight killed him either. I think it was the ri. The vet said he had it for a long time. And what's strange is, the vet gave him a shot and he instantly looked better. He became strong (before his body was super limp) and he moved around. When I brought him home and put him in his cage he was super active (he never was before) then I came home from school the next day to find out he rolled over (literally) and died.

6. MrsSmith88

MrsSmith88 Member

Lll is a little on the expensive side (just saying) I've bought 5 snakes from Jeremy and he's awesome to work with. If I were you I would search for reptile shows in your area. That way your able to meet and greet with the snake and the breeder. I've gotten a few shipped boas I have received 2 snakes with the worst attitude ever. I'm working with them but it's been a slow process. Also, often times the prices online are negotiable so always throw out a number or just ask and payment arrangements can be made so you can get the snake you really want without breaking the bank. Good luck.

7. MrsSmith88

MrsSmith88 Member

Sorry, I ment to start with: I'm really sorry for your loss. I lost a ball python I rescued years ago to similar circumstances. He had horrific mites and nothing was working. I took him to the vet, they gave me a spray and the next day he was dead. I didn't get anymore for a while but when I did I picked up my first boa and never looked back.

8. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Hey! A few things.... Your snake was most likely inbred . How do i know this? Because i see that you said he's one eyed. The sunglow morph is made by combining Albino and Hypo. When Albinos or anything with the albino gene (like sunglows) are inbred, they often lose an eye! It doesn't affect their health as long as an infection doesn't start after the eye falls out. Snakes are very easily stressed. Having a bad sickness like an RI for a long time was probably caused by the previous owner improperly caring for the animal. After living in bad conditions and then moving to good conditions plus having a vet inspect him probably put tons of stress on him. I've seen my vet poke and pick at my snakes during checkups and I often leave them alone for a few weeks afterwards because I can tell it stresses them out. Either stress + RI or equally likely, the RI could have been the product of an underlying health issue. Ri's, mouth rot and other oral issues sometimes occur when snakes have a hidden health issue. I'm sorry for your loss and if you have other reptiles I hope you practiced good QT (quarantine) just in case it's contagious in any way

9. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

From what I remember the snake lost one eye during a live feeding when it was clawed out by a rat.

10. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Morganlefay is right. At least that's what I was told. Apparently it was due to live feeding that he lost his eye.

11. EriksExotics

Ouch no good! I thought the snake was bought with one eye without explanation.
    Losing an eye from feeding is pretty gnarly though

- - - Updated - - -

To the op, I'm sorry to hear about your loss

12. MrsSmith88

MrsSmith88 Member

Oh my gosh that's awful

13. EriksExotics

Was the socket infected or anything? Any "eye tissue" remaining, etc?

14. MrsSmith88

MrsSmith88 Member

Ive had a couple boas get bit or gnawed on by feeding live. Scariest thing ever. We always feed f/t or freshly killed. Now that we have 9 adult/juveniles and 16 babies I'm a big proponent for frozen then thawed feeders

15. EriksExotics

Luckily Boas are amazing eaters so you will probably never have to feed one live like you might with ball pythons for example.

16. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Sorry for the late reply. From what I could tell everything was okay with the eye. It happened 3 years before I took him in. The vet said everything was okay too. It's really a shame he had to loose it. And it's even worse that they still feed live. After he passed I contacted the lady I got him from to let her know what happened. She said how "gnarly it was" about his death and said she still has boas but wants to keep them. I feel really bad for those boas. I can't imagine what kind of health they are in.

17. EriksExotics

You could always call AC and tell them what happened to yours and tell them that you're concerned about the ones she still owns and ask them to look into it