This Disappears When Logged In

Boa Constrictor Imperator Growth Rate?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by YellowOctopus, Aug 1, 2011.

1. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

Yesterday, my lady-friend and I got to go to SEWERfest, a southeast Wisconsin reptile show. We both ended up drooling like mad over the B. c. imperators that one guy in particular had- they were all about a foot long and three months old, and absolutely gorgeous.

Size has been a main disrupting factor in my getting one. I simply don't have room for a 6 foot snake. However, after speaking to the breeder (who I explained my situation to- I trust him more than the other vendors there because he heads a well-respected herp society as well) I feel I could care for one and by the time it's big enough to need an enclosure upgrade, I'll be able to provide that.

I wanted to verify the growth rate, though. The breeder told me that it's very dependent on feeding regimen, but in all likelihood I'd be able to keep one in a 40 breeder for at least a couple years. If that's the case, I certainly can do it. If it's not, well, I'll just have to wait.

So how 'bout it? Can I get away with a 40 breeder for a few years if I start with a neonate or juvenile? How long could I keep a baby in a 10 gallon?

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

If you do not have room for a 6 foot snake NOW, how will you have room for one in a couple of years?

I can tell you right now that my boa is nearing 8 1/2 ft, two of my friends are 10 ft + ...they don't ALL stay in the 6 foot region :)

In answer to your question, a 40 gal breeder would work for the first 2 years, depending on the snakes growth rate....

3. YellowOctopus

Thanks!

In three semesters, I'll have a bit of paper saying "Sam has paid out the nose to get a Bachelor's of Science degree in biology, emphasizing in ecology and population genetics with a minor in Conservation and Environmental Science and maybe one in Chemistry as well. Oh, and he has some time off to build a larger snake enclosure." I guess by "I don't have room for" I meant "I'd have to do a lot of re-arranging. Regardless, I don't plan on being in my current living situation for more than two more years.

I am aware they tend on the 8+ end of things. I was told that after the first 2-4 years, though, their growth rate slows down considerably. I guess that was my main question- what can one expect to see in terms of growth patterns?

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Since I got mine when she was 5 1/2 ft and 12 lbs, I can only tell you of my experience, with proper feeding and care she has grown 3 ft in 2 years and gained 25 lbs.

5. YellowOctopus

How old is she?

6. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

her age is unknown, she came in to the "rescue" where I volunteered because her owner no longer wanted her, I also got her gravid..she produced 12 beautiful babes.....

7. YellowOctopus

Ah, okay. Well, I'm glad you were there for her.

I'd probably get a neonate male, because of the male tendency to stay relatively smaller. Anyways, that's just my idea. I'm just trying to look at this from every angle before I make a permanent decision.

8. marya1962

marya1962 Elite Member

They grow all their lives. Growth rate is often based on feeding but explain it to the snake you are keeping it hungry so it won't grow as fast when it is cranky and wants to eat. Consider, too. genetics and the fact the dealer wants to make a sale. 6-8 feet for males and weight is a factor as well as to whether you have a side-opening or top opening cage. And will the cage expand or will you have to get a totally new one every time. (I tried for two years to sell a 65 gal and finally had to donate it to a thrift store.) Plus there are heaters, humidifiers, and all the other necessary paraphanalia that adds to the expense of keeping a snake and take up room. Handling the snake to gentle it and enrich its life is important so time is involved on top of expense and space. Would I do it again? Yes, but differently. prepared, not piecemeal like I did it this time.

9. YellowOctopus

Thanks! I'm aware of the intricacies and expenses of starting on a new snake. In my original post, I stated that the breeder is the president and founder of a reputable reptile rescue, and I'm more likely to trust him than some of the other breeders that were at the show.

At the moment, I'm curious about growth rate with young snakes. When does growth plateau? At what size is the plateau (generally)? What's growth rate like before and after the plateau?

10. CrazyCylax

CrazyCylax Well-Known Member

Get a columbians rainbow. They won't exceed 7 feet and if they do show me. I want it lol. I'm all for big snakes. But heavy bodied snakes.
    Can't wait for my rainbow to be 5ft and 10 lbs. also plan on red tail sooner or later. That will be my big snake.

11. YellowOctopus

My girlfriend has a Brazilian rainbow. I'd prefer a common boa.

12. Shann

Shann Member

I've been trying to find this info for a while.

My boa is four months old, and is 23 inches, which is 4 inches longer than when I got her two months ago, so she's growing pretty quickly. She regurgitated after a scare so I put her on a smaller food item for a bit. I think that she might have grown even more if it weren't for that.

13. YellowOctopus

Thanks Shann. I haven't had much luck either, beyond what the breeder/herp rescue guy told me.

14. YellowOctopus

A quick pseudo-bump to see if anyone on today/this weekend has anything to say?

I'm leaning more towards not getting it, now. My girlfriend pointed out that I'll be just as poor in grad school as I am now, and I won't necessarily have room for appropriate housing for a 7+ foot snake, plus my two 40 breeders I have now. I think that's still a sacrifice I'm willing to make (building and donating space for the enclosure) but I'm...I don't know. A lot more put-out about it.

15. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Honestly,
    makes a good point..As much as we would all like to think that we can and will be able to build and have room enough "later on"...truth is, unless you have the room/space/money now to take care of one, It would probably be best to hold off.

When the time is right, I'm sure you will be able to find one that is just right for you.

16. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I think it is wise to wait...continue to weigh out the pro's and con's...also think about the cost of feeders and where you will get them from as the snake grows....if your buying from a pet store that in itself can be expensive I know the only store in my area that sells f/t rabbits at $5 a lb and for a snake that will take down a 3-5lb+ rabbit that can be costly LOL

17. YellowOctopus

I guess. Yeah. I've been feeling real beaten down lately, and I guess the prospect of getting a snake I've wanted for a while kind of got ahead of me. Thanks for the responses.

18. YellowOctopus

Bah. If only Hogg Islands came in a regular B. c. imperator phase.