This Disappears When Logged In

Blue?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Brewster320, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

My younger brother (10) was out "frog hunting" where he catches some green, and bull frogs at a stream near our house. He brought some of the frogs back which he sometimes keeps for a few hours then lets them go. Well yesterday he caught some frogs and when he brought them back, some of them were covered in mud so he cleaned it off with spring water.

As he was doing this, he cleaned off this one female frog and he called me into the room. There was a female green frog with a carolina blue head! I looked it up on google and it turns out to be the blue headed morph of the green frog. I tried looking up infomation and I couldn't find much other than its a morph.

I was just wondering how common is this trait in the wild and in the pet trade and is it genetic and if it is what type of trait is it? Recessive? Co-dominant?

As of now we released the other frogs he caught and have this blue headed frog that we've named Saphire in a separate tank frog our to female green frogs for now.

Any other infomation would be greatly appricated, thanks. i'll post pictures later.

2. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

The picture isn't great, It's from my cell phone, but you can see the colors.
    [​IMG]

3. Jenn

Jenn Elite Member

Wow, she looks pretty cool.

4. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Here's another picture if anyone cares to look, this picture is a lot better. And somebody on the kingsnake forums told me that they think the gene is co-dominant but they don't know for sure. It's not a 100% answer but it's better than nothing.
    [​IMG]

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

That's a good lookin frog!

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Its an odd morph. There is a girl on the boards who has a blue frog as well, only even more blue. Of course she named her "bluey"

[​IMG]

7. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Wow that's a nice frog, I like how there's the green and blue, my girl Sapphire has blue from the head to the shoulders then starts to turn gray when the pattern starts then her hind legs are tanish which is kind of hard to see in the pictures. Though I think if I bred her to a frog with less pattern that I could get a more blue frog because my other two girls who are normal colors, one of them, Vegas, has similar patterns to the blue one and where her pattern starts on her back she turns brown. The other one ,Demi, how ever has no pattern on her back so shes completely green. I don't know if the amount patterns are genetic but if I could find a patternless male I'm hoping I could get a completely blue frog. Breeding isn't something I'm to worried about now but its a project I'd like to try in the future possibly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.