This Disappears When Logged In

Blue Tongue Skink

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by Merlin, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This is Skeeter, my Blue Tongued Skink. Its very easy to see how the species got its common name. Very docile but boy can this little lizard HISS!

2. Madlibs

Madlibs Member

Nice skink, I love those guys.

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

He's a beauty. Lauren has that on her wish list.

4. erb0

erb0 Active Member

Are BTS's handleable? I was thinking about getting one as I want a diurnal reptile, I was thinking of either a day gecko, BD, BTS, or schneider's skink. Can anyone recommend any of these or something else? Oh, sorry for hacking your post. :(

5. Stratusfaction

Stratusfaction Active Member

I have seen a few blue-tongued skinks who were handable. They feel pretty cool, I just had the chance to hold a buddy of mines this weekend. But for the most part they are really tame. I own a bearded dragon which is very handeable and he is awesome! But he does get ancy and likes to move around sometimes. But when I was holding the BTS it never once wanted to get up and move around. But I still loveeeeeeeee BD's. To each his own. :D

-David

6. Merlin

They are VERY handleable. When I first approach him in the cage (I usually have to dig him out of the aspen!) if I startle him he will hiss and offer to bite till he realizes its me. after I pick him up he settles right down and will just lay on me or wander a bit, With those tiny legs they don't move very fast. They are suggested as a good beginner lizard as their dietary requirements are pretty easy. They eat almost anything! I highly recommend them, however they are a large lizard, about the size of an adult bearded dragon, and are going to require about a 55 gal home!

7. erb0

erb0 Active Member

Would a BD also require a 55 gallon enclosure?

8. Merlin

Yes as an adult a 55 gal is recommended to house 1 beardie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.