This Disappears When Logged In

Blue Tongue Skink ?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Chui'smommy, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chui'smommy

Chui'smommy Active Member

Hey. I need info about raising Blue tongue Skinks. We may be getting some eggs and I need info. We know a guy who will have eggs soon, and doesn't want them and is going to destroy them. So we are going to see if we can take the eggs and raise the babies until they are ready to go. I have a woman who will take them and put them in her pet store, but I have to know how to get them that far first! Any suggestions? Is this even something to try???

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Ummm I may be wrong but you may have a hard time obtaining eggs. I believe, and may be wrong, that BTS are ovoviviparious, meaning that they have egg-live births. The female produces an egg, carries the egg in her until it hatches internally then the young are immediately expelled.
    Other than that from what I understand the young are rather easily cared for. A typical clutch is about 6-10 younguns.

There are very few BTS pets here, I believe Merlin is one, and if he is I gurantee he can help.
    Good luck! :)

3. Chui'smommy

OK...just did my homework...I have never even dealt with a skink before and now I feel like an idiot. And this dude who has the skink is in for a surprise to, they don't lay eggs....see chronicfatigue's post. Boy...I may end up with baby skinks...cool. I think.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! It does come as a surprise to some. Most people automatically think reptiles = eggs.
    The care is basically the same as for a bearded dragon. They are omnivorous and eat a wide variety of foods.

5. Lord_Jason

Lord_Jason Active Member

Yeah, well, most people think mammel = live birth... but what about pladypus?

Paul

6. Chui'smommy

Merlin...BTS ?

What would you suggest for a good diet for an adult BTS? What is healthy? Right now, they are on a diet of Bearded Dragon Pellets, veggies with treats of crickets and worms for treats. Is this good? Or is there something else these guys need to be eating. Caregivers are saying they eat the most when give mixed veggies, they love carrots and corn. If they are eating the pellets, what is the best fruit and veggies to supplement with? I am finding that I am gaining alot of knowledge here lately...it is hard work! :p

7. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Toadie78 I checked out the site and its pretty accurate except for one thing. BTS are burrowers and are NOT good climbers and should not be given anything that puts them off the ground! Those tiny little feet are not able to support the weight of the skink's body and they will fall!
    Another good site is www.bluetongueskinks.net.
    The veggies I used were the same as those used for iguanas. The crickets and meal worms are fine. I also used lowfat premium dogfood (look in the area for senior dogs) and boiled egg. The mixed veggies you buy are fine but you should sprinkle a bit of vit b1 or brewers yeast on any frozen food you use as freezing tends to destroy B1!
    I found that it was easier to get the skink to eat its greens if they were mixed in with the dogfood. I also found that the skink was only interested in eating every other day.

9. Chui'smommy

Thanks! I think these guys are on a pretty good diet,based on that care sheet. Dog or Cat food is not an option, so bearded dragon pellets will have to do. But I will pass this info along, and I will check on the B1 supplement. Thanks for the info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.