This Disappears When Logged In

Blue Ringed Octopus Vs. Mantis Shrimp

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Ptotherice, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

ok this is going to sound stupid.

Do you feed a saltwater fish tank? like the same way you do fresh? or is the idea that you set it up so it supports it's self and feeds itself so its always reproducing and feeding and dying and cleaning itself?

also, wont the oct be kind of boring (i think they are cool anyway) but aren't they just brown if not stressed and you won't want them stressed

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A salt water tank is just like fresh, but you have the water chemistry to deal with. The salinity and ph have to be perfect!

3. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Elite Member

That's why no one other than labs should keep blue ringed, it's not worth it. There are much more excting octos and cuttlefish(i think of them as saltwater chameleons), the most important thing with cephs is perfect water chemistry, lots of research, and very very good filtration as they are hogs and make huge messes.

As for your question about feeding a SW tank, it all depends on what you have. Most fish you will need to feed and it seems everyone has their own feeding schedules. Almost all corals get by with just light, although there are some that require target feeding. It comes down to what you have in the tank. There are ways to create somewhat of a cycle though, for example refugiums are places for plants to grow and allow small critters to grow and get pumped into your main tank for food. Mandarin fish and some others rely strictly on these.

4. fightingfeeders

fightingfeeders Elite Member

where do you get octapi?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Aquarium specialty stores. Particularly those who specialize in marine tanks.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

or seafood markets:p

They throw octopus on the ice arena after hockey games.

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

8. Kolada

Kolada Member

Where do you plan on getting a blue ring? I pretty sure theyre illegal in states because there bite is, in almost all cases, lethal within like 10 minutes. I guess you could get one from a tide pool or something but that would be really dangerous.
    Both would be a long shot for a beginer in the saltwater game (no offense). They both require prestine conditions plus, for the most part, they both require their own tank otherwise they will eat everything else. So in my opinion, theyre both kind of over rated, cool, but at what costs.
    If you wanna try saltwater go for it! Read lot, ask a lot and and then go for it cause once its going, its not as tough or time consuming as many make it out to be. Plus it is one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. That said, it gets addictive and expensive so dont go in on a whim. But if you have any questions, please pm me and I will field the questions as best I can.

9. Kolada

Kolada Member

"Back in the day when there were only a handful of teams in the NHL it only took 8 games to win the championship. A guy who owned a butcher shop I believe though that since the octopus had 8 limbs and it took 8 wins that it might be good luck to throw and octopus on the ice" -Yahoo answers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.