This Disappears When Logged In

Blue Ringed Octopus Vs. Mantis Shrimp

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Ptotherice, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Usually...:)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And the sad part is they only have a 2 year lifespan. So if you buy an adult you have no idea how much longer its going to live.

3. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Which one the Octopus or the shrimp thingy?

4. Merlin

Octopus

5. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

That sucks!!!! I guess I'll have to get a baby haha. I talked to a guy at Petsmart about the mantis shrimp, and the hardest part is learning to keep a salt tank... I hate having to learn stuff, I wish I just knew everything, it would make my life so much easier haha.

Is that their natural life span or their captive life span?

6. Merlin

Both. Octopi in general are not very long lived.

7. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

Dang, well maybe I won't get one just so I won't have to immediately deal with a dead pet d: I don't know what I'm going to do when my lizard dies, although that shouldn't be for another 10 years or so if I do things right ha.

Thanks, once again, for the information Merlin haha.

8. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Keeping and maintaining a salt water tank is far more demanding than a fresh water tank. Very close attention to details is a must! Salt content, PH levels, filtration perfection, skimmers, nitrate and nitrite levels, ammonia levels, etc., etc.

Salt water tanks are a new 'ball game' compared to fresh!

9. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

Yeah, that's what I've been told. The guy at Petsmart said it was completely different, and if I wanted to start keeping one I should start with a living rock salt water tank before I get fish or anything else.

10. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Yeah we kept my salt water tank up for a YEAR before we put anything it is...probably wasn't necessary but that is what we did

11. Merlin

Setting a saltwater tank up with nothing in it is not doing anything.
    You need to have an animal in it to get the nitrogen cycle started.
    And that runs for about 6 weeks.

12. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I think it was mostly for the live rock to grow...not positive though. I don't think my parents looked it up too much BEFORE they bought into it.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Which is why I will stick to my freshwater tank! The saltwater tanks are beautiful, but I really am too lazy to get one of my own. and too impatient.

If you set this up, be sure to post some pics!

14. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

Oh, no worries on that. haha. When I get it setup that is... it will be a really long time before I have the space to do it. A tiny dorm room is not nearly big enough. My old 75 gal that I got from someone here had to be returned because I couldn't even open my door all the way haha.

15. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Elite Member

tonmo.com is a good forum for cephs and reefcentral.com is a good site for any other SW related question you could have. Also blue ringed octopi only show their pretty blue rings when they are stressed.

I suggest spending a few months reading about saltwater before you jump into it. I screwed up and rushed it, wasted a LOT of money and time. Also more often than not pet store employees know next to nothing when it comes to saltwater. They told me to buy a 100 dollar protein skimmer that turned out to be one of the worst ones on the market : /.

16. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I know nothing about venomous octopi. Or nonvenomous for that matter or salt water aquariums in general.
    Fresh water aquariums still need to have proper Ph, nitrate and ammonia levels!
    I keep south American cichlids which are sensitive.
    Regular goldfish on the other hand can live in regular tap water.

17. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

No worries on me rushing in d: I will do A LOT of research when I finally have the space. I've been asking around a lot more and reading a bit more... I don't think I'm ready for a saltwater yet. I'll probably hold off for a couple years. haha.

18. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I thought they only flashed the blue rings when they are threatened and such.

19. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Elite Member

Exactly, when they are stressed. There are great cephs out there, I was going to get cuttlefish, but decided against it because the cost to feed any ceph is insane.

Saltwater can be extremely frustrating without reasearch, but once you get the hang of it you will be addicted to it lol. It is having your own little part of the ocean and you always see new things (good and bad) comming up in your tank. GL with whatever you do!

20. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

Man, addictions are costly. Now that I lost my ball and chain I have been getting back into the things I love. Trying to buy a car to work on now and I want a saltwater tank AND I want to go to London for a year... this isn't easy haha.

Thanks for the good luck and the information d:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.