This Disappears When Logged In

Blue Ringed Octopus Vs. Mantis Shrimp

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Ptotherice, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

I didn't know where to post this, so I figured since one is an invertebrate I could post here d:

So I'm thinking about getting an aquarium going and I can't decide if I should get a blue ringed octopus or the mantis shrimp. Word on the street says the octopus is A LOT harder to keep and the shrimp is pretty simple. This obviously won't be the first thing I get, but it is something I want as soon as I'm ready.

The Blue Ringed Octopus has the down side of being highly poisonous when biting, but being bit by one isn't very likely unless you try to hold it. The Mantis Shrimp has been known to actually break the aquarium glass (1/4 inch was the glass thickness that the recorded breaking was on).

Thanks for any input and deterrents from these beautiful and wondrous creatures.

2. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

If i were you I would get the octopus but I like a challenge. What ever you get just read a lot before you get it.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You might be better served taking your question to a marine fish forum. I have never heard of a mantis shrimp cracking an aquarium.
    However the blue ring octopus is one of the deadliest creatures in the ocean and to my knowledge there is no antivenom for it.
    And due to its toxicity in some areas they are illegal.
    Years ago when I worked in the pet wholesale industry we recieved one, by mistake, in a shipment of fish.
    It was immediately destroyed and disposed of.

4. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Awe poor octopus...I think they are very pretty well I guess it depends on what you what to try to take care of. I didn't even know what the other thing was. I had to look. I wouldn't get a octopus because of that reason that merlin said. I would be afraid. Then again I want a crocodile so either way it's a big chance. :) I have no idea!!!!

5. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

oh wow haha. I'll check the legality for sure before I get one. I'll go look around some marine forums. Thanks Merlin d: Just google the mantis shrimp cracking an aquarium, I think it was a 10 or 12 inch one (forgot the scientific name, I suck with those). So probably not the same species I would get. d:

And trust me Briana, I love to research ha. I read about Leopard Geckos for about 2 or 3 weeks last time before I got mine. And I still just read over the care sheets I have just for the heck of it every once in a while. And the toxicity of the octopus doesn't worry me all that much because I doubt I'll have my hand exposed to the beak haha. And I kinda like poisonous creatures, I want a pit viper really bad haha. And crocs are amazing, if only I could have one in my dorm d: haha.

6. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

heh I want one too....it would be a good guard dog. :) I cant say I WOULDN'T get one of the octopus's because I know me and I say I wouldn't do things but I know I would. I looked at the shrimp and they don't look very pretty...lol I like the octopus :)

7. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

Look for pictures of the Mantis Shrimp. They are gorgeous. There are many different colors, and if I remember correctly they do color changes as communication. You should check out their eye site on wiki... it's phenomenal. The most advanced site of any creature I can think of.

8. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

9. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

well click on that and see if that i the right....thing. lol

10. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Maybe it's not I'm not real sure though.

11. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

That's it. I read almost all of that about them, kinda hard to follow considering I suck at Biology haha, but the vision and his "hammer" blow my mind. And how advanced they are with the whole "marriage" thing and that they will partner with the same male/female for 20 years is amazing. That's longer than most people these days.

12. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

That is pretty crazy!

13. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I don't have much experience on the subject but I do know while working in a pet store a few years ago, I've seen 2 Mantis Shrimp. One was a little green one and another was a pretty big peacock one (could be wrong on the names, afterall, pet stores make up names sometimes lol). The bigger one was pretty hard to catch and yea it was really strong! You could feel it vibrate through your arm when it struck the container we caught it in. Beautiful looking creatures but that thing had quite the attitude!:eek:

14. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

That's one of the reasons I want one. I have my really cute and docile Leopard Gecko that pretty much sleeps all the time, I w ant something fun now haha. I know that's not a reason to get a pet, my original interest was their social abilities, their feeding, and their colors. The only thing I'm scared of with the Mantis Shrimp is the small, but there, chance of having a disaster. And the Octopus is only because I hear they are really hard to keep, I don't understand how something can be hard to keep, but I'll take anyone's word on the matter.

If anyone else has ANY information on these two amazing animals or a care sheet or two, that would be amazing.

15. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

I was watching some vids on the shrimp. You can hear the echos through the glass where it attacks the crabs, snails and anything else. I think the only reason could break the glass, and that would be if it missed or it was being taunted.

From what I read there were 2 kinds the spearers and the hammers

16. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

The noise is actually a void in the water. Not air, but a vacuum void, which is actually as hot as the sun (although it is only for a split moment in time). The collapse of the "bubble" creates a shock wave that is powerful enough to knockout or kill the target. Just as strong as the hit. That's only if it actually hits the target and it's hard. Just like the Pistol Shrimp. The reason behind it breaking the glass is the aquarium being too small and it burrowing and thinking it can keep going and BAM... hits the glass.

Sorry for that long explanation, when I get excited or into stuff I go a bit nuts. haha

17. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

Sorry if that post above here was already said previously... I am a bit too happy tonight, so I'm just writing stuff as it pops into my head... So there are two different spearers? What are they?

18. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

It's ok to get excited :) I still like to Octopus!

19. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

The blue-ringed octopus is an amazing creature. As Merlin said it is very poisonous. One of the worlds deadliest. If you have the knowledge to care for one it would be an amazing experience. They are very beautiful when they flare out their blue rings. Almost looks like they pulse blue color.

20. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

Yeah, I watched a bunch of videos of both of these animals, and by far the octopus is one of the most beautiful animals I have seen before. Which, as with anything in the animal kingdom, is a double edged sword, because the prettier and more vibrant the color, the deadlier the animal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.