This Disappears When Logged In

blue eyes

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by earwig, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

In a previous post in this thread, earwig said

"two days ago the ball python shedded his head part off and he still has a loose shed around his body"

so I'm pretty sure it's the python who's needing some help with the shed at this point. :)

2. smallgrayfox

:eek:
    I'm glad the skin came off for you :) Did all of it seem to come off ok?

As far as feeding him, I don't know whether or not balls like to eat right after a shed or not. I've fed my corns right away afterward, and they've done fine, but balls may be different. Anyone else know?

If the prey is live, and the snake isn't showing interest at this point, I would hold off a while before trying again. You wouldn't want the prey to end up hurting your snake. :eek: That's my biggest reason for feeding frozen/thawed instead of live.

As far as prey size goes, the general rule is that the prey should be no more than one and a half times the widest part of the snake.

3. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

It is much safer for the snake to feed f/t (and no stress for the mouse),because live food could injure your snake very badly.If you can,try to get him to eat f/t.Most of us on here fed only f/t.
    And also there are some very good books available on ball pythons or any snake you have/want.We gladly help on HC,but it's always handy to have also a book on the side :) I myself have 3 books on ball pythons and two on corn snakes and they all don't agree with each other,lol.But you just need to find a middle way and the peoples experience,and you'll be on the right track!The most importand is that you have the right temps and humidity!
    Good luck and lots of great moments with your snakes!! They are wonderful pets!! :)

4. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Oops ok...didnt read that post...ok then...and I agree with the others....Frozen Thawed is preferred...tho a 2 inch mouse is probably a young one, but dont leave it in for too long...maybe a couple days from now try the mouse again....Some of my ball pythons eat some dont...obviously yours needs a rest after shedding and could be stressed from being in the pillow case...give him a few more days and then try feeding again...good luck...it gets easier really lol...Lyn

5. smallgrayfox

It's also possible that he's not eating yet because you've only had him a very short time, and he isn't entirely comfortable in his new home. He hasn't had time to adjust yet. He may still need a while longer before he'll eat, especially considering that a new home plus shedding is double the stress. Patience is probably a good thing in this instance. :)

6. earwig

earwig Active Member

oh well i just bought a f/t mouse and he wont eat that either. smallgrayfox is probably right its too stressed, but how long can a 16 incher survive without eating? its been 2 weeks since he ate. oh and what should i do with the f/t mouse put it back in the freezer?

7. smallgrayfox

One of my corns went a whole month without eating and was fine, and I've heard of balls going a lot longer than that...so don't worry too much just yet. As far as putting the mouse back in the freezer, I have never been comfortable doing that (I just throw them out), but unless I'm mistaken some people do as long as it wasn't out for a long time. I'm not entirely sure though....Anyone else out there know?

8. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I have refrozen in the past...and the mice and/or rats were fine...just had to do it last night as a matter of fact...one snake slated for feeding was actively shedding and the other was ready to start shedding...as long as you havent had it sit around for hours it should be fine...but only refreeze one time....Lyn

9. earwig

earwig Active Member

i tried feeding him the live mouse and he still didnt go after it. the the live and f/t mouse are both around 2", i dont know if the snake thinks their too big. I wish he was like my cornsnake. When do u think the python will eat?

10. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Usually I let every new snake settle in for at least two weeks not even handle it or anything,just changing the water.Then ,after two weeks I start handling and feeding.
    As ball pythons are more shy than other snakes ,maybe he just needs some more time to settle in.You don't have him two weeks yet,have you?
    Where does his cage stand? Ball pythons do like their peace and quiet;maybe there's too much traffic around his tank? Are you watching him eat? Maybe he doesn't like that? Some of my snakes didn't like it when I stood too close while they were eating,but now they are used to me and I even can move around and come up close without stopping them swallowing!
    Just be patient and give him more time.Before you bought him,did you ask the store what and how they were feeding him?Ask how mmany times he was eating before they sold him to you.Best is with a ball that they ate at least 10 times after hatching before going to a new owner.He is a baby,isn't he?
    Good luck!!

11. earwig

earwig Active Member

its be 2 weeks 3 more days from now. i should probably move him to a different spot. he is in my bedroom because i dont know anywhere else to put him. I wil try to find him a new spot, but everywhere else in my house is to cold or my other pets will try to kill him.

12. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Are the temps and humidity right in his tank? If a snake doesn't eat it doesn't feel comfortable or secure or has a health problem.
    Try and find out how he was fed before;what size prey ,life or f/t, in a feeding box or his enclosure and ask them if he fed well at the store.If it's a serious pet store you will get a true answer.
    Good luck!

13. earwig

earwig Active Member

The lady at the pet store had it a little bit more than a week and she fed it a mouse successfully (I hope she was telling me the truth)im guessing live because she only has full grown f/t mice. So I asked her to give me the same sized mouse she fed the bp before and the mouse was 2". Oh and the temp is 88 during the day and at night the temp is 80 and i turn on the heating pad.

14. smallgrayfox

I agree with Jacky...he probably just needs more time. I wouldn't try to feed him again for at least another week...what are the temperatures on the warm and cool sides of the tank? What is the humidity?

I've heard ball pythons are more picky than corn snakes and can be rather stubborn about eating. Since you've only had him such a short time, and he just went through a shed, just let him settle in for a while before trying anything else with him. :)

15. earwig

earwig Active Member

its a 10 gallon tank the temp on both sides are the same. I watch tv at night and I'll play my piano and saxophone in my room during the day and if that has to do with the bp not feeding let me no and ill try to find a new place in my house for the ball python.

16. smallgrayfox

I don't think being in your room is a problem...one of our snakes is in my daughter's room, one is in my son's room, and two are in the living room where there's quite a bit of activity and noise (I've been watching three extra kids this summer in addition to my own two, so it's kind of been a world of chaos here :eek: especially considering that my son is going to start playing the trumpet at school this year and he's been practicing already :rolleyes: ), and all my snakes are just fine with it. I'd leave him in your room especially if there are animals in the other parts of the house who might hurt him.

As we said, he probably just needs some more time to adjust to his new surroundings...

You may find that a problem might be that you don't have a real temperature gradient in the tank, mostly because it's a ten gallon. I had the same problem with mine when I had a ten gallon tank. I never could get the warm side warm enough without making the cool side TOO warm. That's why I switched to a size 20 gallon long for my snakes. Now I can have a warm basking spot on one side of the tank, and still have a spot cool enough on the other end for the times when the snake wants to cool down.

Have you read HC's caresheet on ball pythons? According to the care sheet "The ideal ambient temperature of the tank should be maintained at 80-83 degrees. There should be a basking spot of 90 degrees and a cool spot with a temperature of 80."

You can click here to read the whole care sheet. :)

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I wouldn't move the tank you are trying to get the snake settled in and any change is going to set you back a bit. Are you handling the snake? I suggest leaving it alone till after it has fed a couple of times. This allows it to settle into its new environment. Place your heating devices on one end of the tank so the snke has a cooler end to move to. Ball pythons can go months without eating but this is more with adults in breeding cycle. However even the babies can go a long time without eating. The time to get concerned is if the snake starts to visibly lose weight.
    Does the snake have a hiding spot where it can ge completely out of sight?
    It is ok to refreeze the mouse if it has only been thawed an hour or so.

18. earwig

earwig Active Member

I handled then snake like 4 times by putting him in the pillow case to help him shed and the other times was just to put something or take something out of his tank, but i only have 1 hiding spot on the hot side of the tank. Its one of those happy huts and i put a piece of cardboard on the other side so its really dark in there and nothing can see him.

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It is really best to have hides on either end of the tank that way they don't have to chose temperature over security. They prefer something that is so small that they really can cram themselves inside and touch the walls on all sides. It doesn't have to be anything fancy it can be a box or anything.
    I would leave the snake, and cage, completey alone for about a week. No handling no rearranging the furniture, nothing. Then try feeding again, late in the evening as they are nocturnal by nature.

20. smallgrayfox

That's right. They'll cram themselves into spaces so small you don't know how they got themselves in there...Here's my Children's python getting into one of her little hides that she's nearly too big for:
    [​IMG]

Here she is inside:
    [​IMG]

I used to use just a small cardboard box or a paper towel tube....they loved getting into those too...

Here's my daughter's corn snake when he was still small enough to fit into one:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.