This Disappears When Logged In

blue eyes

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by earwig, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earwig

earwig Active Member

i bought a ball python last friday and his eyes looked fine, but today i noticed they were blueish grayish. Ive been reading that it might have to do something with shedding but im not for sure. What should i do?

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, this means he's going to shed. Increase the humidity in his enclosure, and make sure he has stuff to rub against, which will help. He should have hides, branches, etc anyway though, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. The rest is pretty much up to the snake, usually they don't have any problems. If it doesn't start coming off nicely in one piece though, keep us posted, as then he may have some problems.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Yep, That is the start of the shedding process. Nothing for you to do but let it take its course. When shedding, they cannot see real well and can become aggitated, so I always feel its best to leave them alone until finished.

4. earwig

earwig Active Member

and i also have a albino corn snake that shedded and it came in like 3 pieces. theres still strips of his old shed on him now and don't know if thats a problem or not, is it?

5. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Thh best and safest way to remove old shed is to take the snake and wrap it in a slightly damp room temerature bath towel, than put the towel/snake inside a pillow case and tie the end. Let sit for a cuople of hours, preferrably in a lockable conatiner just in case. The combination of increased humidity and the snake rubbing against the towel while looking for a way out helps to remove the old shed.

6. Princess Erica

Princess Erica Active Member

Sheds should come off all in one piece, so if it's coming off in 3 (or more), you've got a husbandry problem. To ensure a good shed for your ball, jack your humidity up to 70%+, and if you really want to help, make a humid hide for him. Cut a whole in a butter dish or something about that size, put wet paper towels inside it and put it in the tank so he can soak if he feels the need. Be sure to check the paper towels every day and rewet them when necessary. Otherwise just keep your humidity cranked through the roof and cross your fingers! :)

7. earwig

earwig Active Member

when is he going to shed?

8. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

My experience isn't with ball pythons, but my Children's Python and my corn snakes always shed somewhere between two and five days after the blue eyes stage...

9. Baxter

Baxter Member

First his eyes will clear almost like before he went into his blue-phase. Then anywhere between 2-6 days afterwards, he'll shed.
    I agree with putting a moist hide (any type of plastic tub -- with one hole cut in the short side big enough for the snake to get into.) You can use moist paper towels or sphagnum moss inside it. You should have a spray bottle and mist the inside of the box (and your snake) at least once a day while he's in shed.

10. earwig

earwig Active Member

when i put a moist paper towel in today i noticed he was in the corner of the tank with just his head part shedded off. so i guess it wont come off in one piece, but im glad he is shedding.

11. earwig

earwig Active Member

two days ago the ball python shedded his head part off and he still has a loose shed around his body. do they all do that? he wasnt fed in 2 weeks and im waiting for him to shed so i can feed him.

12. smallgrayfox

I would follow Jay's advice (quoted below) as it really works to get old shed off. I did it once with one of my corns, and it worked like a charm :) As Jay says, make sure you put the pillowcase in a lockable container in case the snake manages to wriggle out of it somehow. Don't want an escapee on your hands! :eek:

13. earwig

earwig Active Member

so the ball python will shed all the skin off by using jays advice?

14. smallgrayfox

Well, hopefully the increased humidity and rubbing against the wet towel will help the rest of the shed skin come off. :)

15. earwig

earwig Active Member

i just put him in it and hes not moving. i dont think it will work, but i hope it will

16. smallgrayfox

Jay said to leave him in the pillowcase with the slightly damp room temperature towel for a couple of hours, so maybe in that amount of time he'll do some moving around. If nothing else it will certainly help the old skin get damp, which will help it come off more easily. I've got my fingers crossed for you that it works well! :)

17. earwig

earwig Active Member

he has been moving, so thats good. and will he shed in the pillowcase or will he shed in in aquarium?

18. smallgrayfox

Well, when I did it with my corn snake, the shed rubbed off on the towel for the most part. So I would imagine the same thing would happen for your ball python.

19. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Ummm are you talking about the ball python who has not shed yet??? or the cornsnake who already shed and has retained shed. I wouldnt put the ball python in unless he has shed and still has skin stuck to him....if his eyes are still blue, then he is not quite ready yet...once his eyes clear up again, then it will happen within a week or so....Good luck...Lyn

20. earwig

earwig Active Member

the ball python skin came off about 15 minutes ago and i just tried feeding him but he didnt go after it. i dont know if its to early to have him eat or if its the mouse size. just to let you know the ball pythons 16'' and the mouse is 2" and it is alive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.