This Disappears When Logged In

Blood Red Corn Snake

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by stano40, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

One of the many new acquisitions to our reptile family was "Red".

"Red", is a Blood Red Corn Snake, that's what we were told. He is an awesome guy and looks to be near 6'. Seeing he is our first adult corn snake I read a couple articles and all they said was the corn snakes only get 4'. Well "Red" is bigger than that.

"Red" is also in shed, so I managed to snap a photo of him soaking in his warm dish of water. As soon as he sheds I'll take another photo of him so you can see if there is any difference in his color.

[​IMG]

bob

2. RedLocks

RedLocks Elite Member

Oh what a nice color! Even if he is in shed. Thanks for sharing :)

3. venus

venus Founding Member

I had one of those. They are beautiful.

4. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

Thank You,

This is my first adult corn snake and I was reading somewhere that a bloodred pattern's belly is lacking the checkering.

Red has checkering, so does that still make him a bloodred?

He was sold to the last owner as a bloodred.

bob

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

beautiful snake!

6. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

i don't know if that makes him a bloodred or not, but regardless, that is a stunning snake.

7. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

He is just gorgeous. I don't know much about corns, but his coloring is definitely something.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Depending on the genetic background of the snakes used in the breeding a corn will be from 4 to 6 ft in lenght. Generally Bloodreds have less dark banding than yours but I still beleive it qualifies.
    And if you think its pretty now (which I do!) just wait till you see him after the shed!

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

he's beautiful. congrats on getting him! :)

10. If Red has belly checks, than he isn't a bloodred. Some bloodreds may have tiny "specks" along the lateral edge of the belly and may also have a "bleeding" of red color on their belly, but they do not have the bold checks seen in normal corn snakes. This is one of my bloodreds:
    [​IMG]

11. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Blood Red is a line breed of the Diffused gene that causes the side markings in a corn to diffuse randomly base on how line breed the snake is it can be a dramatic affect. The gene also causes a abnormal head pattern and bleeding of color into the ventral scales. It takes about 5 years before Diffused animals show their final coloration and they are usually very small mostly under 3 feet (Due to line breeding). For any one interested in corns I would recommend the Cornsnake morph guide it's updated every year and runs about $20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.