This Disappears When Logged In

Blood Pythons Vs Ball Pythons

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by Orca, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I am by no means a snake expert - I've just had my ball python for 16 months and the two of us are doing good so far. I've been reading up on the blood pythons because that species is now legal here so I'm trying to be educated about them. I read the care sheet here and the one on NERD's website so I think I have the basics down. Their care seems rather similar to that of ball pythons. Can you guys tell me what the major differences would be between the two species? Aside from them looking physically different, that is.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

bloods have huge humidity requirements.

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Yeah, Jen's right. I have a rescued blood python (4 ft long), and she always needs help shedding. I just can't seem to get the humidity right, yet! I just soaked and shedded her yesterday as a matter of fact. Being a rescue, she is one mean so and so. She always tries to rip my hand off every time I touch her. As I hold her though, she calms down a bit and I can handle her with very little issue. I am continually working with her as I also am trying to convert her to f/t rats in stead of the gerbils she normally eats.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not only the humidity requirements but they have a totally different temperment,..and NOT for the better. Most bloods are totally obnoxious and seem to be torn between making the decision whether to bite you or to spray you with excrement!
    Aw heck,...lets do both!

5. David McConley

Merlin, I have been VERY lucky. She has only tried to bite me, she never once acted like she was going to hose me down. I really don't think the person who turned her in to animal control handled her regularly,but had her for the "cool factor".

6. Orca

Orca Elite Member

So housing sounds very similar to the ball pythons (I always recommend having that humidity for balls as well because mine starts to wheeze when it gets too dry).
    On NERD's caresheet, I read that the temperament is fine as long as it is a captive bred animal? That not true? Then should their handling be kept to a minimum?

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

blood humidity needs to be high - over 75%.

The first snake ever to bite me was a blood python. Not one of my own snakes, but one at a pet shop I was drooling on.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I admit that most of my meager knowledge of them is based on experiences with wild caught snakes. Captive bred may very well be more tractable.
    However this is going to be much bigger than a ball python and as such will require a very good sized cage. They may not get exceedingly long but these guys are bulky!

9. David McConley

If you have access to any old "Reptiles" magazines, the issue from November 2007 has a great article on bloods by Dave and Tracy Barker on pages 48-60 and in it they say that (paraphrasing here) blood pythons have a fairly bad reputation. The captive bred ones are more tractible and easier to work with than the wild caught ones- the same is true with virtually any snake- but handling is pretty much the key to taming them. Like all snakes there are some that just won't tame down but most are defensive until they are out of the cage, then they calm down. (Again this is paraphrased- I have not read the article for a few months and would definitely recommend you reading it for yourself if possible to avoid confusion and my own personal thoughts on the issue)

I can say that mine is about 4 ft long and about 8.5 lbs. She needs to add some weight but she is a very finicky eater and I am trying to convert her to f/t rats instead of gerbils.

10. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Okay, thanks guys for the tips! We got a couple in from LLL Reptile for our store (where we have 3 (myself included) very educated "reptile people" who will make sure the snakes got to experienced, knowledgeable homes once they eat f/t - we have the right to refuse sales and are not afraid to do so). I only took out one for a second before I had to get back to a shipment and s/he was about 10" long. Gorgeous creature! Granted the snake was on the cool side from shipping, but it didn't show any signs of aggression. Captive bred ones are the only ones legal in our state anyway so I'm almost positive these are. Wish me luck with them :)

11. David McConley

Absolutely, I wish you all the luck in the world! I am sure mine is captive bred also, but I don't think the previous owner handled her very much, or even at all.

12. Orca

Orca Elite Member

My friend luckily did have that back issue of 'Reptiles' magazine (I've only had my subscription for a little over a year). So I read the article - devoured it really - and it was very promising, givng me a much better view of the captive bred individuals.
    I may also be stealing that issue because there is a whole article on prolapses, which my leopard gecko just went through *whistles innocently as she puts magazine in her bag* ;)

13. David McConley

I'm glad you were able to get a chance to look at the article. It was very informative and had some amazing photos of the blood pythons and their morphs. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.