This Disappears When Logged In

Blood Python Won't Eat...

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by Carmen, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carmen

Carmen Member

I have a Blood Python that I rescued from a previous owner last year. We knew when we got her that she wasn't in great health so we took her to our vet and he diagnosed her with Pneumonia. After four weeks of daily anitbiotic shots she is still weezy. Originally she was eating fine.. a medium rat every to to three weeks, then winter got here and she went into fasting. It's now June and she still hasn't eaten. I took her back to the vet and he doesn't know what to do with her. I just want to make her feel better and get her eating again. Does anyone know what I can do or have any suggestions for me? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Is the vet a certified herp vet?? If not I would find a herp vet, most dog/cat vets don't know much about herps. Could it be an RI and not Pneumonia? Give us a run down of her set up(size, temps, humidity, substrate, etc...) and pics of the set up would help also ;)

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I agree with Shwknight- the setup may be the culprit. We definitely need a description of your set-up. Also if it had a bout a pneumonia last year it may be susceptible to repeat problems. Check your temps and humidity, these seem to be the biggest issue for bloods. Too little heat =sick snake, too much or too little humidity= sick snake.
    From what I have read, I have not seen any information of bloods going on a fast for the winter. I know balls and some others do it so it may be possible bloods do also, I just haven't read anything on it. The fact that it was sick before is worrying me. If it has not lost any weight or body mass, you may just be dealing with a stubborn snake and it will eat when it wants to.
    I have a rescue blood that I got about 4 months ago and all she will eat is gerbils- expensive but if that is all she will eat that is what she will get-until I can convert her to F/T rats. Maybe you could try offering it a gerbil or maybe a guinea pig to see if that jump starts it's appetite. Hopefully it won't decide that it likes those better than the ordinary fare of frozen rats.
    Good luck and keep us posted, and don't forget to post the particulars of your set-up.

4. Carmen

Carmen Member

He is a herp vet but he also does cats and dogs. Where I live, he's the only one I can take her to. What is an RI? We have her in a 75 gallon tank with eco earth substrate and a layer of yesterday's news underneath. Day temps are about 84-85 and drop to about 78 at night. I try and keep the humidity at 65. I have an infra light on for her at night also to make sure it doesn't get too chilly. The previous time when she did eat I fed her frozen. When she stopped I tried going with live but she wouldn't take it. I'll give the gerbil or guinea pig a try. She was thirteen pounds last time I took her to the vet and as far as I can tell she hasn't lost any weight. She's still drinking and shedd about two months ago, so hopefully this is just her being stubborn.

5. David McConley

An RI is a respiratory infection- very common among snakes. In fact, I may be wrong and someone please correct me if I am, a RI is basically the same thing as pneumonia for snakes.
    Your daytime temps should be around 80-92 degrees F, and basking should be about 92 degrees F. Optimal humidity is 65-70% and during a shed should be increased to 85-90%. This is from the HerpCenter caresheets and I believe them to be quite accurate.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

6. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

maybe the antibiotics were not the good ones eatheir...my ball python just got over mouth rot and for some reason baytril was not the right meds for it...so we went with amikacin..if it is an RI you might want the vet to take a culture and see what meds are the best for you snake, it's worth it! with that many daily injections and no change I would have to say that the antibiotics you wre using wre not the right ones. another thing your could do is really bump up the heat...I bumped up my basking spot to 95-97 and my cool spot to 80. heat is the best thing for snakes :) I'm no expert but these are just things that helped me with my mouth rot situation.

7. David McConley

I did a search on RVF here and there is NO reptile vet to be found in Nebraska! What kind of heathens are you? Just kidding- not your fault at all. Seriously though go on the RVF section and see if there is a vet closer to you state wise. If there is, maybe you can e-mail them and ask some questions that may help you out. At least he could tell you if the anti-biotics you got before were the correct ones or if something stronger is needed. Please be aware though, a reputable vet will want you to come in for a wellness check-up. I strongly suggest that if it is an RI that you take it to a vet with all speed. You will recognize an RI by sound(wheezing or clicks when the snake breathes) and sometimes by sight(fluid/mucus dripping from the snake's mouth). If the problem is not too advanced, bumping up the heat may just knock out the infection. If not, then you will definitely need a vet.
    I strongly suspect though that the snake is just being stubborn and is just looking for a change in diet.

8. Carmen

Carmen Member

I know! No herp vets in Nebraska. Kinda pathetic. But yeah, the antibiotics he gave me was the Baytril! I remember giving her a shot one night and looking at the box it came in and reading "for dogs only"! Trusting soul that I am hoped that the vet knew what he was talking about. I think I'll take your advice David and email a more knowledgable vet. From what you guys are saying RI does sound pretty close to pneumonia symptom wise. She's always been weezy. Especially when you're holding her. On occasion I've seen a few bubbles come out of her nose. Thanks to everyone for your responses! You guys rock. ;)

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You may be able to ask your vet if he knows of a good herp vet, or ask any vet for that reason. You could also look up local herp shelters, and ask them - if there are herp vets about, they will know where they are.

David - you could breed gerbils - easy, and low-odor. Keep the bedding to try and scent the rats in your attempts to convert.

10. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

there is no baytril for reptiles. vets will give you med for cats and dogs and even farm animals. the amikacin i got was for dogs and cats and the shot I have to give my snake was 0.02ml(goes by weight) my vet was not a herp vet but and exotic vet, look for an exotic they do a good job too. if the baytril is not working look into another broad spectrum antibiotic with a vet or just ask for a culture. but already bumping up the heat will help a lot!!!!

and usually vets will prescribe baytril first because it's alot less expensive and less hard on the kidneys, but the prob is alot of bacteria are starting to be immuned to baytril because we are over using it...so this is why you should ask about amikacin. it is way more expensive but it's alot stronger too. also its usually a shot every 3 days and not every day. this will let the stress level in your snake go down

11. Carmen

Carmen Member

I would but we don't have any herp shelters either... they go straight to the local humane society. I've tried there before and they don't know anything. Nebraska isn't very open to let alone advanced in this kinda thing. Which is why I'm so grateful for you guys and this site!

12. David McConley

Carmen- we are here to help. I personally enjoy being able to help people with their snakes and hopefully I don't give out any wrong information here. If I do, the great thing about this forum is everyone helps out and they don't make you feel stupid.

Jen- I appreciate the advice on the gerbil breeding and as of about three weeks ago I became the proud parent of 1 male and 2 female breeding gerbils. They are absolutely fantastic, they are low-odor and very friendly(easy to handle). It is a shame I will be using them for feeding my snake, but she comes first. I also have kept some of the soiled bedding so I can try to scent the F/T rats.

13. Carmen

Carmen Member

Agreed! :)

14. David McConley

Just so everyone knows- My gerbil colony has grown !! My wife checked on them Saturday morning and , we have 7 new born babies, bringing the total up to 10 gerbils!! Looks like I will not have to buy anymore as I am hoping to get my girl(Jaws) converted as soon as possible.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

congrats - though be careful of adult gerbils, they sometimes cannibalize offspring that are not theirs.

16. David McConley

Thanks, I was not aware of that. I am planning on removing them as soon as I can figure out EXACTLY which female is the mother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.