This Disappears When Logged In

Blood Python Poop

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by rorycollinsgreen, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi again, I had one other question; since I'm relatively new to caring for a blood python, how long do they generally take to go number two? I've had mine since just after christmas, I've fed him 2 mice and a rat, and he still has not gone. Is this a problem? Or do they take a long time to go?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I don't know about bloods but Pythons in general have a very slow metabolism and don't "go" very often. Also depending on the size of the snake relative to how much and how often you feed there could be quite an interval.
    If you suspect constipation try putting him a tub of 90-95 degree water for a bit. This often stimulates them to go.

3. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Translation: If You suspect constipation, Try putting him in a tub of 90-95 degree water for a bit. This often...:p

4. lol thanx merlin

5. Merlin

Duh! See what happens when I get in a hurry!

6. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

My blood eats a small rat once a week. He doesn't poop once a week but it's within two weeks or so. Hmm, 2 mice and one rat since christmas?
    Let's see, Mine has eaten about six small rats since Christmas.
    I've heard of people who live in colder climates having snakes that will fast all winter. I dunno.

7. I have another question, in general, what does is it mean when a snake sometimes rubs the side of its head against the ground or glass? Not a constant rubbing, just a small little rub every now and again, almost as if it is a nervous twitch. And I have one other question; what are symptoms that your snake has mites? The reason I ask is that about 3 months ago, I noticed one single little tiny bug crawling on my snake, however, I have not seen one since and I also had a live plant in the cage (meaning of course that it may have been a bug that lived on the plant). But just lately I have been noticing a lot of topics on snake mites and how hard they are to detect. If my snake has mites, will I be able to look very closely and notice one or two? Because I can't seem to find any at all. And I would really like to know about that "nervous twitch" because I can't help but worry maybe it's mouth rot or something equally as harmful. Thanx

8. Merlin

Rubbing like that is usually a prelude to shedding.
    And if you have mites you won't just find one or two. They multipy incredibly fast!
    They are actually pretty easy to detect if you look closely.

9. thanx again merlin

10. Cleaning the enclosure

Just out of curiosity, how often should I be cleaning her cage even if she does not have a bowel movement for 1-2 months?

11. Merlin

If there is no mess I don't worry about it.

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

I also do not own a blood, but i have a ball python. If you are worried about the mites, i would soak your blood in about an inch of water in the tub and let him sit in there for about 20 minutes or so and then see if there are any black specks in the water. There are plenty of ways to detect them other than just looking. If your snake has a irregular shed, that could be a sign. But don't freak out like i did, cause our ball wasnt getting the right amount of humidity and that pretty much solved the irregular shed. Just keep your eye on him and you should be ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.