This Disappears When Logged In

Blood Bad News.

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by chelseykeel, Aug 28, 2010.

1. chelseykeel

chelseykeel Member

I have very bad news about my Blood. The blisters I asked everyone about, well, later I found out that it's scale rot. Just the first stages of it. When the blisters popped then dried out they are scale rot. Hopefully I can get him cured from it now. The web site I found it on sounds like I can do it, but it's going to be a long road. I hope my other two snakes that are in with him don't get it.
    Just for everyone to know when their snakes get water blisters under their shed and they are sticky to the touch it is the first stages of scale rot.
    Thanks for everyones help that replied to my first post though. :(

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, did you take the snake to a vet, or have you got the info on what the problem is on the internet? If the blisters were caused by the enclosure being too damp, the other snakes are also at risk, can I ask why you keep 3 snakes together?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Scale rot is generally caused by the enclosure being kept too damp and not clean enough.
    What other snakes are in there?

4. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Good luck in helping him get cured.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hear about you snake, hopefully the other snakes won't get this also. Good luck, hopfully you can get control of it soon.

6. chelseykeel

chelseykeel Member

He had the blisters when i got him. Its not my tank. He was very dehydrated when i got him too so i thought that had something to do with it but after they popped i got word from a friend it might be scale rot so i looked it up on the internet. The closest vet to me is over 300 miles so we haven't dared take him that far (unless we have to of course). He is looking alot better (other than the spots) since we have had him. He doesn't look as skinny and you can't hardly see his back bone and he's got good color now where before he looked and felt all dry and nasty. They said he had been shedding since febuary when we got him and he wasn't in a good habitat.
    I was keeping them in the same tank cause we live in a camper and there isn't really alot of room for a lot of tanks and they get along really good so i was thinking it wouldn't hurt anything.
    Twizted (my ball python) she likes company she likes to cuddle with other snakes. She's my buddy. She always got out of her tank and got in with the reticulated python when we owned him.

Oh i did find a site that explains in detail what i can do for it so i'm going to try. I do have a tank coming tomorrow to get him quarantined. It says to take him away from everything including water bowl so he can't wash medicine off but i have to give him water i'm not that rude. maybe just not as much.
    I always keep their tank bedding dry and they have a warm side and a cool side and lots of water so they can get water anytime they want. My ball has lived for 9 years like that. I should raise the humidity a little in there, but now i don't dare!!

7. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Sounds like Blister disease to me, we have 2 snakes at the rescue being treated with antibiotic injections, get your snake to a vet, it won't get better

8. Cyclura08

Cyclura08 Well-Known Member

And please dont think im criticizing, but in all honesty having more than maybe just the ball python in a camper sounds cramped and unrealistic to me. I say that because these animals are reptiles...and separate species of reptiles at that. there's two levels of incompatibility right there. In the wild the bulk of these animals are solitary (especially snakes) and very rarely come together unless fighting, feeding or mating. None of those things you want going on between a blood and a ball python in the same enclosure.

I commend you for having a kind heart and taking the blood in when it needed a home. But, all im suggesting is that perhaps it would be better off with someone who can give it a proper enclosure of it's own with a little more space.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I think Cyclura08 kinda hit the nail on the head. Those two snakes have drastically different care requirements, and with them both living together, it will be impossible to provide for both, which means one will always be getting sick, stressed, or not far from it!

Blister disease won't stay on the surface - the infection can spread and become a systemic problem - your snake needs a vet ASAP.

as to water - what you can do is remove the water dish from the snakes cage so he can't soak in it. Every day, put it in there for an hour or so, when you can supervise. That gives him an opportunity to drink, but not to soak.

10. chelseykeel

chelseykeel Member

Dragonness thanks for the advice on the disease of what he has and the water ideas as for cyclura I think your wrong I think I did a good job getting him out of the home he was in.
    I was planning on getting him his own tank this afternoon at least until i can get him better. I had a reticulated and my ball python and if it wasn't my ball getting out to be with my reticulated my reticulated would get out to be with my ball. I don't believe the "STRESS and always sick" things. I'll see what happens if i can get the blood better. I do have room for another tank but it's not going to be as big.

11. chelseykeel

chelseykeel Member

I wish you guys could have told me what the blisters was when i first asked about them three weeks ago or so but hey. I guess i can't get answers like i want at first hu.

12. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Sorry, but not everyone has a chance to check in everyday, I did not see your post, or I surely would have said something. Please get your snake to a vet, he absolutely will not heal without antibiotics and care. Do not pop the blisters, that will open the snake to secondary infection. As stated previously, a tank by himself, no water unless supervised, no cage accessories, clean paper towels for substrate.

If you cannot get him to a vet, find your local reptile rescue and turn him over to someone who can do what is best for the snake.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

A note on caging - it really is best for each snake to have their own cage - but by all means, don't waste the money on glass aquariums. For reptiles, they are almost useless without a lot of modification.

I swear by these things: Go to wal*mart, get a reasonably sized plastic sterilite type storage container - should run about $10. Get some industrial velcro. Set your snakes up in those - it may not be picturesque, but it is very practical, and very affordable.

Check this out: Sterilite Reptile Enclosures

That is a dangerous attitude to have, and could very well cost one or both of your snakes their lives. Not believing something doesn't make it true. For many centuries, people did not believe the earth was round.

14. Cyclura08

Cyclura08 Well-Known Member

Ok, what exactly do you mean by that? im not sure i follow you at all.

Please dont take anything im saying as anything other than helpful criticism. Im not trying to be rude by any means. However, you should know that by posting a question on a public forum you're basically giving implied consent to have others tell you their opinion on the situation (thats the point of asking a question isnt it?...to get it answered?). Nobody necessarily likes to hear about what they're doing wrong but YOU did ask for our opinions, and so we gave them. Reptiles are very picky and complex creatures and if they are to be kept successfully in captivity then it is our jobs as responsible owners to provide them with the best care possible, and that oftentimes means accepting criticism for doing something incorrectly. Nobody does everything right and from time to time we have to rely on the wisdom and experience of others who are more seasoned, and that applies to ALL herpers...myself included.

best of luck to you.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

There are three snakes in the same enclosure not two, totally the wrong thing to do.

16. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

Some people here may try not to be rude in situations like this, but I'm not one of those people. Our hobby is not about us and making us happy. It is about the animals and doing whatever we can do to provide a long, healthy life them. People like you are the reason that laws are trying to be passed to keep us from having these awesome animals. There is no excuse for ignorance anymore. There is to much information out there and it is to easy to come by for you to think that keeping three different species of snakes together is OK. Ya I am curious as to what other snake you have in with the two? It doesn't take but a couple of minutes of research to find out that you are keeping those snakes in one of the worst ways possible. Your two snakes probably would "find each other" because the conditions in their own tanks were not good enough. Snakes are not social, the don't love to be held or with other snakes. They go wherever the conditions are best for them to stay alive. You are actually displaying something called anthropomorphism. Look it up, you might recognize the definition.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Not to mention housing one sick snake with 2 other snakes is just asking to have 3 sick snakes. That will cost thrice as much to treat.

It isn't really much of a rescue of the snake isn't living in better conditions. Overcrowding it, while it is sick no less. If nothing changes, you'll have some dead snakes very soon.

18. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Some people just will never take advice that does not suit them.

Their animals (and their children, if they have any) suffer for it.