This Disappears When Logged In

Blind Leopard Gecko??

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by *~Amanda~*, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

Hey! i'm new and i have two Leopard Geckos, Nakia, and Cammie. well i got Cammie about 5 days ago. and i notcied that she keeps her eyes closed a lot. but i just thought she was tired. but today im really starting to worry, because i was holding her, and she kept her eyes closed even while walking. and she would open them real quick but thats it. and shes VERY calm for a Juvi. my other one Nakia, was NEVER like Cammie. i'm just worried, because i dont know to care for a blind Leopard Gecko. my mom told me that i'll need to call the pet store. i guess my question is how can you tell if they are blind?

2. scd250

scd250 Elite Member

sounds ill, not blind. sorry.

3. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

oh great... alright thanks. i'll be calling the petstore right now. :(

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Does she have any retained shed on her eyes? If there is any shed skin on her eyes, that could bother her. How bright is the lighting? Leopard geckos are nocturnal, so the lighting could be bothering her eyes.

Have you watched her at night? Is she eating and defecating?

5. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

i just got back form Petsmart, they say its the stress... but its been 5 days already. and they were also tellign me that Leopard Geckos are sotile (sp) and they shouldnt be housed together.. but i been provin them wrong the whole time! then they told me to call up another vet. the light she was in (i seperated them so Nakia wouldnt get sick at all) was a Red Light, the lighting she has now is a UV lighting. she does have what it looks to be skin still on her, that i have been tryign to get off.. and the lady that was holding her was stressing her out sooo bad! Camm was trying to bite her! and Camm has never tried that before. whats werid is that, her breathing is heavy. like Nakia's doesnt even get that way.. only when she's about ready to eat. i **think** she has pooped since she's been here.. its way to small to be Nakia's.. so im pretty sure its Camm's they were trying to tell me that its probably because the change in food. well Cammie hasn't eaten at all yet, i was told to wait awhile, i'll try again tonight. but they couldnt give me a direct answer, the uy was like well wait 10 days to see what happens.. i wanted to say "HELLLLO! that will be day 15! a day PAST the gurentee" i just wanted to yell at them. so im gonna call the vets office that specializes in Reptiles, etc. i'm just so not happy with he service i got there.. like i LOVE Cammie. and i want her to et better. i dont want anything to happen to her.

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Two things immediately spring to mind - 1) you said you were holding her during the day - as Rich said leos are nocturnal, and it is likely the light was bothering her and she was just sleepy. 2) Do you have a UV light in there now?? - leos don't need UV, and at most should be given a very low amount for maybe an hour or two a day. However, this is not necessary, and it is not yet proven if damage can actually be caused by providing UV. UV can actually cause blindness in a reptile that doesn't require it - this may be your main problem!

Also, leos are solitary animals but can do well housed together, with the exception of males housed together - you should only house females or female and male together (the latter only if you are prepared for breeding). But, in any case, you should be practicing good quarantine anyway so for now you should be housing the leos separately for several months until you can be sure that the new leo isn't carrying any disease or infection.

You need to allow her time to settle in - you have just removed her from her "home" and placed her in a new environment. Do not handle her or disturb her, except for feeding and topping up water etc. Also are you practicing calcium+vitamin supplementing? - this is essential as is a bowl of calcium so that the leo can self-regulate her calcium intake.

7. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

yeah im doing everything right. and i mean EVERYTHING. i stopped using the UV lighting. i dont bother them in the day time unless i have to. and most of the time they well before Camm it was Nakia, and Nakia would come to the front of her cage, wanting out. adn i would let her out and hold her. and i would take her outside (only if i felt it was warm enough for her) the only reason Camm has UV lighting is because i have the red light in Nakias cage. and that all because the other ones blew out when there was power outages. im waiting for a vet to call me back right now

8. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

i just got off the phone with the vet.. and she told me that its something that they deff need to look at.

9. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

You said that one of the defecations in the enclosure was way to small to be the other leo. Exactly how large are these 2 geckos? If they are not close in size, they should not be housed together. The larger of the 2 will stress the smaller gecko out.

The larger may also show aggressive behavior during feedings.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And first and foremost do NOT rely on Petsmart for health information on your animals. You should be talking to a vet and not some employee who odds are knows less about the animal than you do.

11. geckoguykc

geckoguykc Elite Member

I wouldnt even buy from petsmart personally

12. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I buy pellet food there on occasion, but I wouldn't buy anything live, not even feeders.

13. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

i've had Nakia for a year, and i've gotten her from Petsmart, her and Camm do NOT show any signs of aggresion.. they even cuddle together. so its certain its not that.

Petsmart before this incadent.. were PERFECT they were the best petstore here where i live. i've bougten sooo many of my pets there. and its just this and my moms fish (who finally died today) that we have had problems with.. and i dont listen to them on information, i talk to my friend who knows everything there is on reptiles. and he told me that it sounds like RI.

14. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Petsmart is the secind best petstore in my area, but that still isn't saying much.
    Be sure to keep us updated on what the vet says after he looks at her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.