This Disappears When Logged In

Blaptica Dubia on the Way

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by kriminaal, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

I would have a lid. Just feels safer to me. I was holding a baby roach when I first got them and I sat him or her on the fern I planted in the enclosure it seemed as though it had no idea how to get down. I am hoping with all my heart to NEVER have to buy another cricket after these guys catch on. My partner says if 1 gets out she'll throw the whole thing out :( I think

Oh yeah...I think that would be plenty big enough can you provide heat in a plastic container? They do need heat to breed...80 degrees I think it was, and humidity.

2. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

I absolutely love kittens. And cats. Much better than loud annoying dogs...
    But I like dogs too.

Anyways
    I find bugs neat sometimes, but usually only spiders or cute bugs.
    Roaches.... ugh no. Never.
    But I really like spiders.
    Very photogenic little bugs.

Hah, I've gotten so behind in this thread.
    Sorry

3. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

Hehe I am just figuring out this whole forum thing. It is so helpful. Right away I found a thread on substrates and immediatly got my BD on reptile carpet instead of sand. It looks nice and now I know Crush will be healthier for it too.

4. graduationxday

Did you get him from an online breeder or pet store or reptile show or what?
    Just wondering.
    I'm kinda skeptical of online breeders, but I don't know if I really should be.

5. leahbrd

leahbrd Elite Member

OK, I've got to say, as MUCH AS I HATE INSECTS...(yes, even crickets!!) I've considered Roaches for a while now, my only problem is my roach phobia. I can handle pretty much anything, and easily get over any fear by filling my mind with knowledge instead, but this is one thing I couldn't handle. Do you pick them up to feed? Obviously I could use tongs or the sand scooper that I filter my sand with, but seriously, if one of these guys got on me, I'd do the crazy girl dance. Maybe I need to invest in some to get over my fear! lol **shivers**

PS - for anyone in Houston, there is a reptile expo this weekend!!! I'll look into the **shivers again** roach idea.

6. graduationxday

Hahhh I know how you feel.
    Crickets, I don't mind.
    Meal worms freak me out though...
    When they start changing into beetles, it totally grosses me out.
    I don't like the way they move either.. :/
    They're the only thing other than crickets I've worked with so far thoughhh.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

leahbrd, I suggest getting a few and keep them as pets for a while. You'll find they are very interesting to watch. The more you observe them I believe your fear will lessen. You can scoop them up with a cup if your prefer. Catching them with tongs would be difficult.

8. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

I had a horrible fear of snakes. I went to work at a petstore and now I am DYING to get a ball python. I find close contact is the best way to conquer your fears. 2 or 3 of my Dubias are about 1 and a half inches already...I stayed up late to watch them out and about in their enclosure last night! :) Crazy girl dance, for me, is reserved for small fast garter snakes all over my yard *shiver*

9. graduationxday

There's a lizard [[snake, if you prefer]] called the Glass Lizard, or Glass Snake, or Legless Lizard.
    I have a beach house in Florida, and they're all over.
    They're really odd little creatures.
    I used to be totally afraid of them, but not anymore.

They're lizards actually, but look like snakes.
    They don't have legs. x]

But I believe the difference is that their ears are what gets them classified as lizards.
    And something else I think.. I'm not sure.
    And the way they move isn't really like a snake.

They're really shiney, which is what I think used to freak me out so bad.

10. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

I counted 6 large nymphs out and about last night. So at the very least I have half a dozen. I think I have way more than that though. They love blackberries and oranges. I am getting some squash tonight to see how they like that. They seem to have a sweet tooth. They are quite something to watch. :)

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm hoping mine start breeding soon. Some look like they are big enough.
    It's too expensive to be buying roaches for feeding at a buck a pop.

12. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

I agree on the price thing. I am still feeding crickets until the roaches catch on. Will be sooooo glad to ditch those buggers. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.