This Disappears When Logged In

Blaptica Dubia on the Way

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by kriminaal, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I have an order of 50 of these roaches on the way. Anyone have any advice on how to keep them. I'll be raising them (if all goes to plan) for feeders.
    I've heard they don't climb or fly so that's a plus.
    Thinking ahead I'm telling my wife these are "beetles".;) Might work until they get the full wing-spread.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

If you put them in a tub, I heard if you put Vaseline around the side, they can't escape.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

So if we hear about a case of a spousal assault in Canada,...
    we can assume that she caught on?:p

4. kriminaal

Basically I'm dead meat if she ever finds one crawling around in the house.
    Already she hates finding superworm beetles.
    I'll probably set the roaches up in the garage until winter and see how it goes.
    I'll definitely try that vaseline idea, thanks Marsha
    If I can propagate in the numbers I need that will help fund me getting another trio of monitors.
    Now I have to get setting up for the mice breeding as well.

5. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Wow! I'm glad I caught this posting! Although b. dubia males have wings, they are a non-flying/climbing species. I bred them as feeders for my bearded dragon, and they are ridiculously easy to take care of (not to mention much hardier and less smelly than crickets)

Housing: I found the best way to take care of them, is to keep them in a ten gallon glass tank or a tupperware bin with smooth sides. they relish the dark and shy from the light. Also, being a tropical roach species, they need heat to survive. Seeing that you're from canada, should one escape in your house, unless it is over 80 degrees, they will have a hard time surviving. I kept mine in a 10g tank with a clamp lamp. I used a 75 watt night-glo bulb and kept them in a dark closet. For substrate I used simple potting soil, though I didn't quite like it. One of the bests substrates to use is coconut fiber (naturebed or eco-earth) these come in expandable bricks and help keep the humidity up. I also put in a few egg crates to promote hiding and breeding. Once the roaches reach full size, it's easy to tell them apart because males have wings and females do not.

Feeding:I kept a separate tub for gutloading over 24 hours. To gutload you can use simple cricket feed gutload. I've found that the best one is Total Bites by Nature Zone. it has food, water and gutload and is great for any feeder insect. Over the long term for breeding specimens, fresh fruit and veggies are the best way to go. I also would put a little dog kibble or fish food, so that they can get adequate protein. Ferret food is also a good choice. For water The best thing I found was a shallow dish filled with soaked cotton balls, as they tend to drink like crickets. If money is no issue, I recommend using Cricket or Hermit Crab water pillows, as these are reusable and tend to hold water for a few days.

Temperature and Humidity: Like I mentioned before, b. Dubia roaches are tropical. They need a temperature of about 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit. I've found that a 75 watt night-glo bulb works well. The humidity recommended is about 90%. If you use a wet bedding such as coco fiber, this is not hard to accomplish. Make sure you keep a temperature and humidity gauge in the tank, and mist at least twice a day. If you decide to use a screen cover (I left my tank open, since they can't climb glass) covering half with plexi-glass and a wet towel certainly helps to boost the humidity.

One Last thing...I don't know what you're feeding these guys too, but I found that they are fast little buggers. My beardie was so used to barely chasing crickets, and eating salad that he scoffed at the idea of chasing them. I hope you don't have a problem handling insects, because I found that I had to flip them on their backs or hand feed him (**** lazy lizard) Anyway, Good luck and I hope for the best for you. I hope this post was useful :)

--Jen

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Jen gave alot of good info. Thanks Jen. The care is alot like b. laties one of the other feeder roaches.

7. kriminaal

Thanks Jen. That's a lot of good info. No problem having my monitors catch them--they're super fast.
    I want to start a colony with this group before I start feeding them though.
    I guess this is turning into a feeder forum thread. My apologies to anyone who keeps them as pets.

8. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

Hi . I got my B.dubia and I gotta say I think they are very cool. I still intend to use as feeders but I set them up a very nice enclosure where I can enjoy the adults and watch the wee ones grow up. :) Drache Dame, I thank you for the very helpful info as well. When I get my camera batteries charged I will post a pic and see if you think my enclosure looks correct, if you don't mind?

9. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

Are they healthier for BDs than crickets?
    I doubt my mom would let me have roaches in the house, but if they're better in any way then I might can convince her. x]

10. graduationxday

Ewwyyy nevermind.
    I looked at a picture of them online.
    I hateeeeee bugs like that.
    If they're considerably healthier for BDs than crickets though, I may think more on it.
    But they're just icky...

Crickets aren't so icky.
    Speaking of that...
    I saw a HUGEEE cricket yesterday..
    Maybe like three or four inches. I'd never seen one before...

11. shannond81391

shannond81391 Elite Member

Yea I was looking these up, due to the STENCH and noise of my crickets. I'm pretty sure im going to pick up about 50 mixed size and start a colony. What size enclosure would I need? and has anyone had a problem with these escaping or whatever. I know they can't fly or climb, just if roaches get loose. I'll be looking for a new home. lol

12. graduationxday

I keep pinhead crickets in my room.
    They make no noise and they don't stink.
    I have no problem with them x]]

We have bigger crickets for my sister's turtle though.
    They smell.
    Only cause Jenny lets them die...
    She doesn't put a new orange cricket food chunk thingy in there when the old ones dry up.
    And I do with my crickets.
    So, no smell. :]]

Only problem I have is my kitten wanting soooo bad to get those crickets.
    And he usually tries hardest early in the morning when I want to sleep.
    He knocks them off the shelf at least once a week.
    The lid hasn't come off yet though, so we're good. x]

13. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

I think I am going to like the roaches...err beetles. So far I set them up and haven't seen 'em since.Guess it takes months to really get things going. Everything I have read says these guys have a MUCH higher meat to shell ratio. So that means more digestible for the critters I reckon. Going to be awhile before I know if it is worth the effort. I find that my crickets are not to stinky if I scoop dead ones every day and keep them with clean shavings and fresh food and water gel. I buy 1000 at a time and have few losses.

14. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

I have mine in a 10 gallon with a secure lid, (JUST to make my partner feel better about them even though they don't climb or fly), I have a red heat bulb on them and give them fruits veggies and a mixture of dry foods. I can post a picture if you would like.

15. graduationxday

Do they really not gross you out?
    Blehhhhh I hate roaches.

My cats don't though. Heh.
    If we ever get a palimino [[or something like that]] bug in the house, the cats go crazy trying to get it.
    But they'll go crazy trying to get just about anything.
    Even toes, if you get too close to our kitten when he's playful. x]]

16. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

Nope don't gross me out at all. I find insects interesting all around. I bought silkworms for a treat for all my guys and guess what?? I have a very hard time with feeding them.LOL. I guess I'm a bit strange but I just find them fun to watch. I set up a big critter keeper for them and want to see if I can get one to change into the moth.Hehe.
    Kittens are so cute.I have no cats as I have to many cage critters and would worry about accidents. :)
    Well Crush thinks I am to slow this morning, he is pacing for his salad better get to feeding the crew.

17. shannond81391

What are you feeding those silkworms too? Chameleons do absolutely great with silkworms. I was at the white plains reptile show today. I was 2 seconds away from buying 50 mixed size dubias, but I didnt have a setup, and my hands were full anyways, I'm gonna wait to get the tank setup, just a few questions, can they jump? Like I know crickets you can keep in an open top container, as long as its high enough. Should I have a top on the enclosure? Is a 55 gallon rubbermaid container good for 50 mixed size?

18. kriminaal

The ones I rec'd aren't quite adults yet. They do not jump climb or fly. Still I have a screened lid on the container and a 4" strip of tape around the lid.
    If one ever got out and my wife found it in the house. WHAMMO. First the roach getting it, and then me.lol
    That size of container would be fine. They seem to congregate together anyway.

19. shannond81391

Haha, same here, but with my mom. So, do they have the ability to fly and jump and they just don't? Or you are saying they can't. And with my feeding bin for my tegu, the crickets sometimes climb up the sides and I have to knock them down. Would they also do that? And I'll use a top for them, rubbermaid cover cut out and put in screen. I just can't let one get out, I'd be completely and utterly... in trouble :p. I just cant stand crickets anymore.

20. kriminaal

The breeder where I purchased mine recommended the Dubia to me. Mostly because I was looking for a species that can't fly and isn't very adept at climbing. They will climb a surface where they can get a good grip. But I have yet to see them climb the rubbermaid containers sides.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.