This Disappears When Logged In

Black Milksnake Sexual Maturity

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by bobberly1, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

I have a source that sells the very cool black milksnake at $175 a pair. I want to breed these, but I'm a freshman in high school.I want to breed them a good number of times before I go to college and sell most of what I have. How long would it take until they could breed if I bought babies that are a few months old?

2. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

It takes between 2-3 years for milksnakes and most other north american colubrids to reach sexual maturity and size.

3. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

Can I keep it on the shorter side by feeding more and more often? Also, any opinions on this species beside the cooler tempuratures?

4. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Thats called power feeding and actually harms the snake and will cause an early death. Best to just wait it out then rush them and end up with dead snakes.

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Feeding more will accelerate growth, but not necessarily sexual maturity. You will more likely end up with unhealthy snakes with fatty livers that will produce less fertile eggs and die an early death.
    Take your time. Breeding takes a lot of research to do well. You can use the time that your babies are growing up to get well-informed and ready. It also takes a pretty good amount of money to do well. Think incubator, baby enclosures, food and heating for everyone, advertising for the babies, etc. It's definitely an interesting endeavor but not necessarily very profitable.

6. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

Cool, thanks. Next problem's getting $175 to buy them, as well as money for crested geckos to replace the escapees. I also have my eye on dart frogs. :rolleyes:

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Snakes are also amazing escape artists, so be sure to save some money and time to make all your enclosures 100% escape proof! :)

8. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

I think that the cresteds got out by way of cat. That or little brother. Yeah I make very sure with my snake cages, next step is from lizard-proof to snake-proof.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And if little brother is an issue,... a LOCK on the lid!

10. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

Problem is, it's a simple 20H with one of those drop on lids. I did weigh it down for a while though.

By the way, in my last post I meant from lizard-proof to cat-proof.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Put velcro on all four corners. Rough section on top and aligned on the side and use a strip of the soft section to lock it. Nothing is going to push it open
    [​IMG]As for a lock. You can silicone a hasp to the top and side and use a padlock.
    Its far less trouble than looking for an escapee!

12. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

Thanks for the advice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.