This Disappears When Logged In

Black Jungle Viv Finished!

Discussion in 'Vivariums' started by Graffen, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graffen

Graffen Member

Here is my new viv built from scratch. It is a construction by the german herpetologist Stettler. I made it as an experiment for a larger viv I´m about to build.
    [​IMG]
    I built it for my Jungle-carpet male, 2 years old and 1 meter long.
    The size of the viv is 45x45x90 cm wich is quite suitable for an arboreal snake of his size.
    The construction principle is as follow:
    [​IMG]
    And the construction of the background is as these pics will show:
    [​IMG]
    I started with the sides and spread a layer of black silicone (aquarium use) on the areas where the backdrop would be.
    [​IMG]
    Then i glued some cypress roots and flower pots on the backside with silicone. When it had set I filled in the gaps with expandable foam. When cured I carved and sanded it to shape.
    [​IMG]
    Then came the fun part. Spread black silicone sealant on the foam with your hand (use latex gloves) in small areas due to the fast skinning of the sealant. When wet apply the material of your choice, coco-bedding or as i used: Orchid soil ( Sphagnum, barch and humus) pad it down good in the sealant so it wont come loose.
    Continue until all of the backdrop is finished:
    [​IMG]
    The finished result before planting. I use ground-cloth on top of the Leca I use as drainage over the bassin. Drill some holes under the pots so the water can drain out.
    To place the temp-sensor, cut a slit in the background and insert it and then smear some sealant on top with some bedding. That way it isn´t glued in the backdrop, so you can pull it out from beneath if you have to.
    [​IMG]
    This is what it looks like when all the plants are planted where they should be. All plants are real and should thrive with the "warm feet" they now have.
    I have test run my viv now for 36 hours and the results looks good.
    75% humidity and a constant temp of 29 degrees celsius without the thermostat plugged in .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A pic of my red hypo Carpet "Hephaistos" who is the lucky inhabitant of the new Viv.
    [​IMG]

Would gladly reply to questions about the construction. I have more photos of the build but haven´t got to put them up yet.

2. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

That is a really nice setup!

3. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Wow that looks great!!! I don't want to rain on your parade but with my experience with snakes and vivariums isn't that great. When I got my garter a few months ago I made it a small vivarium in a 2 1/2 gallon tank. With in a week he completely destroyed it! If a 4 inch garter snake could destroy a small vivarium in a week I could only image what a decently sized constrictor could do. I'm not saying the carpet will destroy your tank because mostly likely depends on the individual and species. I just wanted to let you know so you could watch out for it because I would be a shame if all the time and effort you put in turned into python rumble.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Wow, that really is a nice setup. Congrats.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is indeed a very nice set up! Thank you for sharing it with us!

6. venus

venus Founding Member

Really awesome!! Looks fantastic. I bet your jungle is happy to be in it, lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.