This Disappears When Logged In

Bit of a Problem Here (please Help)

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by manson_666, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manson_666

manson_666 New Member

Hello all,
    My girlfriend and I have an 8.5 foot Macklott's Python named Fluffy. Within the last few days, mostly today and yesterday, she has been striking at the glass even if we walk by her cage. She used to be a really nice snake, very affectionate and hadn't even yawned at anyone, let alone strike at them. Her previous owner, which is a good friend of mine was over last night and she was striking at him too.

Also, she won't eat, live or dead rats. She was bitten by one of the rats last night and we're wondering if that's why she's being so defensive and striking at everything.

the last two days when we have tried to feed her, live or dead rats, she would strike at them but not coil herself around them like she usually does when eating.

we are afraid that she's going to hurt herself if she keeps lunging at the glass the way she has been.

we don't know what to do, please help us?:(:(

If we can't figure out what to do, we may have to get rid of her :'(

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Sounds like a female, as males rarely reach 7ft.
    This is normal mating season for them Jan- Feb. maybe aggressive because of this?

That's about as much as I know about them, someone with more knowledge will be along soon. It would help them to know what your set-up is like, temps, humidity, etc.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Becoming aggressive and not eating is a good sign there is something medically wrong. Please get your snake to a qualified herp vet. There is a possibility the rat bite is leading to an infection. Also look into feeding Frozen/Thawed in the future to keep a rat bite from happening again.

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I would also advise against feeding live prey anymore. For the exact reason you have already mentioned. It's dangerous and the snake could seriously be injured from a rat bite.

Welcome to Herp Center by the way.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

ok, when was your python's last meal?

a few weeks, or even months without food won't harm it. Give it at least a week before you offer it another (very thoroughly dead) rat. Check the wound for infection, and put some plain neosporin on it (Nothing with painkillers).

Is the wound deep enough to bleed, or is it just some scuffed scales?

Also, put a curtain or sheet over the cage so the snake won't see you guys walking by and strike.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Was the aggression before or after the bite? If after, it may be the result of the bite and the snake being in pain.

In the snake's way of looking at the world, you walked up to the tank and something caused pain. So its YOUR fault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.