This Disappears When Logged In

Bit again

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by steel rip, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Nero, my black striped king bit again tonight when I went to get him out, latched himself onto my finger, do you think he will always be a biter? this is the second time now in a month, hes getting bigger too, lol

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

LOL :D They are such little buggers sometimes! I've only been bitten twice (and both times were by the small snakes, thankfully! :p ) - once by our male irian jaya carpet python, and the other by our female blotched king snake. Neither were strike or feeding bites, in fact they just decided while I was holding them, to open wide and latch onto my hand, I'm sure they found it funny. :p

How often do you handle your king? Do you think it was a feeding bite or a defensive bite (if a feeding bite, the snake will hang on for longer, and perhaps it is near feeding day?, a defensive bite will be an open-mouthed strike, warning you off).. most likely reasons are that the snake is hungry, in or going in to shed, or perhaps you just woke him up. I know that if we wake our boa, Charley, up he will hiss and bare his big mouth at us to show he is not happy (hmm rather like me in the mornings :p ). He shouldn't always be a biter - some snakes are, and have it in their nature, but if you handle him and try not to wake him up, he should calm down. How old/big is he also? Our blotched king was very snappy when we first got her, and she was like a big worm, but not she is gaining some size she is much more calm and subdued. Our cali king was similar, although he was not quite so young when we got him, more not very well cared for..

:)

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Time for a snake stick. lol

4. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

He was awake, hes always awake lol, mooching round his tank, it is feeding day thats why i was getting him out to feed him, so he could be hungry, think i will start putting gloves on to get him out, for a while anyway, as he is getting rather big now, i would say he is about 25" just over 2 feet, and fairly rounded too, and his bite hurt more than last time too lol, it wasnt a strike, when I get hold of him, he just kinda swings round and latches on, I just hope he calms down, he used to be so placid, maybe i should handle him more, since the last bite i havnt handled him much as he musks me too, and gawd does that stink :p

5. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Oh yes it does!!! :eek: :D

Perhaps he was just hungry,. where do you grab him? I always try to pick up at the mid section of the body, from behind the head, although this can surprise the snake, so maybe you just surprised him :confused: If you wear gloves be careful not to scare the snake - some snakes feel more threatened by a huge glove coming towards them than a small hand, and may be more inclined to bite, though it sounds more like a surprised bite. :)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cal Kings are notorious for being a bit nippy particularly when young. With good handling most of them grow out of it. Ours is the only snake that routinely nips at me however my other half handles her all the time with no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.