This Disappears When Logged In

Birthdays

Discussion in 'Birthday Wishes' started by Rich, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have a modification that can post a birthday thread every day for users that have a birthday. It posts a single thread wishing all of the birthday users a happy birthday at the same time. This will limit the amount of birthday threads we have and will also eliminate us forgetting anyones birthday.

If you all want to keep doing it the way we always have, thats cool too. I came across this little script and thought I would toss it out there.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Do it, lol

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That's good, cause I cant' even find where the birthday listing went. LOL

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

It's broken - you would have to look at the calendar right now.

5. schlegelbagel

Well that's why I can't find it.

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yeah, I was going to bring that up when it was my bday, but I saw that Rich remembered it. I was like hmm odd. Where did they go, then I saw shells message on yahoo about her bday and was like did we forget hers too.

7. Rich

Its still at the bottom of the forums page. The module i created for the birthdays broke with the upgrade. I just need to rewrite a small section in the PHP file that feeds it and it will return. I will try to have that back tomorrow.

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Do it to it!

9. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

I like the idea, too!

10. Rich

11. schlegelbagel

I love it!!!!!

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hmmm I had responded to this earlier but apparently the post got eaten!
    So here I go again!
    The only drawback to it I see is that we will be posting birthday greetings to people who have not been on the site in months or years.

Personally I think the individual birthday greetings are more,... well, personal. It is aimed specifically at one member and not just a blanket wish. And its not like there are that many birthdays on any given day

I know it would mean more to me to have several posts responding to a Happy Birthday Merlin than to have a bunch of posts simply responding to a Happy Birthday Rich, Dominick, Marsha, Shelly, Ken and,.. and,... and and.
    Thats my 2 cents.;)

13. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah, I agree with Merlin... Is there any way to get the script to do individual threads? And maybe get it to only do the ones for people that have signed in in the last 6 months?

14. schlegelbagel

And not put how old they are? :(

not looking forward to hers this year...

15. MoogleBass

what about people that join on their bday? What about after the post is made will it add more?

16. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I've been in lazy mode for a while. It's probably the winter depression thing.
    But I like the auto feature. I do think it loses the "personal touch" though as well.

17. Rich

It currently shows users who have been online over the past 4 months. I set that up already. Removing the code for the age is simple enough as well.

I guess we should put this up to a formal vote since we have some opposing views.

Lets all enter our vote and we can go from there.

I am for it.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I prefer the individual wishes.

19. MoogleBass

20. venus

venus Founding Member

It will probably also save space since you only have 1 thread vs 4 diff bday threads. It still has the personal touch since everyone is posting.

FOR IT!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.